[HOWTO] Debugging OBD Communication

Collection of all FAQs and HOW-TOs posted throughout the system. Read only.
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: [HOWTO] Debugging OBD Communication

Post by gplracerx »

What protocol does the Dual 160 run on?
The protocols you list. SAE, ISO and CAN, are for communication with the vehicle, not the phone. The XGPS160 uses Bluetooth, which doesn't have alternate communication protocols, as far as I know. I would suggest CAN as a first try if you want to try somethig other than automatic.
froggy47
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by froggy47 »

gplracerx wrote:
What protocol does the Dual 160 run on?
The protocols you list. SAE, ISO and CAN, are for communication with the vehicle, not the phone. The XGPS160 uses Bluetooth, which doesn't have alternate communication protocols, as far as I know. I would suggest CAN as a first try if you want to try somethig other than automatic.
Corvette got the CAN bus in 2005 so not mine (2004)
Autox & HPDE
2004 Corvette Z06
Moto X/android, Dual 160, generic OBD2
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Please forget about the Dual for now, it is not related to the OBD issue. The protocols discussed are car bus protocols - again, this is not related to GPS / the Dual device.

To read out your car's protocol using the OBDLink tool, connect the dongle to your car and run it. Connect your smartphone to the OBDLink and start the OBDLink app. Press "Connect" and wait until the device is connected. Now, press "Settings", "Information", and scroll to the bottom of the screen. Now, you can see the actual protocol used:
IMG_5281.PNG
IMG_5281.PNG (179.22 KiB) Viewed 10978 times
Write down the protocol name. Kill the OBDLink app (to make sure we do not get conflicts with LapTimer). Start LapTimer and select the Default Protocol you have written down above from LapTimer / Settings / Expert Settings / OBD Tweaks. Send LapTimer to background, wait some seconds, and pull it forward again. Check what happens.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
froggy47
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by froggy47 »

Harry wrote:Please forget about the Dual for now, it is not related to the OBD issue. The protocols discussed are car bus protocols - again, this is not related to GPS / the Dual device.

To read out your car's protocol using the OBDLink tool, connect the dongle to your car and run it. Connect your smartphone to the OBDLink and start the OBDLink app. Press "Connect" and wait until the device is connected. Now, press "Settings", "Information", and scroll to the bottom of the screen. Now, you can see the actual protocol used:
IMG_5281.PNG
Write down the protocol name. Kill the OBDLink app (to make sure we do not get conflicts with LapTimer). Start LapTimer and select the Default Protocol you have written down above from LapTimer / Settings / Expert Settings / OBD Tweaks. Send LapTimer to background, wait some seconds, and pull it forward again. Check what happens.

- Harry

OK Harry, will do.
Autox & HPDE
2004 Corvette Z06
froggy47
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by froggy47 »

SAE J1850 VPW (10.4 Kbaud) is the protocol from obd2 mx bt.

I set HLT to that as requested.

Would not connect

I sent a log.

Please help.
Autox & HPDE
2004 Corvette Z06
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

After killing the OBDLink app, did you disconnect the dongle from the car and plug it back in?
froggy47
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by froggy47 »

gplracerx wrote:After killing the OBDLink app, did you disconnect the dongle from the car and plug it back in?
No I left it plugged in, Just exited the app on my phone.

:)
Autox & HPDE
2004 Corvette Z06
froggy47
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by froggy47 »

Should I try again & physically remove the OBD2 mx bt, then reattach it b4 I boot up HLT/ To make sure the OBDLink app is "fully" disconnected?

:)
Autox & HPDE
2004 Corvette Z06
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Kill the app please
Image Image Image Image
froggy47
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by froggy47 »

So today some different behavior, I will try to provide as much info as I can.

Did not use OBDLink at all, so it never communicated with the dongle, the only thing more I could do would be delete it off the phone.

Paired the dongle with the phone.

Opened HLT, the dongle connected & dropped about 3 times in 1.5 minutes.

Then it connected & stayed connected for 5 min. I started the car & it remained connected for another 5 min. Then it dropped after about 10 min continuous conn.

I shut the car off. HLT tried & sucessfully reconnected & held "green" for a couple of minutes & I turned all off to do the forum.

Connection @ 1 or 2 Hz compared to gps & accelerometer which both connect @ 10 Hz.

The ONLY change today is to not start the OBDLink app at all. Yesterday it was to set the HLT protocol = the Scan Tool protocol (both were "automatic" to start with).

Do you have a thought/setting to make the dongle connect more quickly & steadily like it does with the Scan Tool app? A setting for more communication speed?

Thanks.

Should I toss it and buy a wifi dongle?
Autox & HPDE
2004 Corvette Z06