Before you start going into the detail level logging described below, please use this chart to narrow down what's going wrong.
NB: This description has been updated to v22 already. Logs can be created once Harry's GPS/OBD Buddy v22 is available. It makes no sense to submit v21 logs any more.
To debug a car, I need to have a look into the connection sequence and dialog going on between LapTimer and the OBD dongle connected. To log, please use GPS/OBD Buddy, not LapTimer or some other Harry's app. These apps have logging disabled, so the free GPS/OBD Buddy needs to be used.
Here are the steps to collect the OBD communication log and send this trace to me:
- Install Harry's GPS/OBD Buddy from AppStore or PlayStore.
- Start Harry's GPS/OBD Buddy and find the trace settings: App ‣ Settings ‣ Expert Settings ‣ Tracing (Developer only).
- In the Trace Classes page you find so called Trace Classes. Please make sure exactly OBD Troubleshooting is turned on. All other rows should be turned off.
- To start logging, return to the Tracing section header and select Logfile from the Type row. Switch to the GPS View. In case you have done everything right, you see a small gray recording symbol in the bottom right. Please note LapTimer is writing the log already - and it is lots of stuff per minute. So immediately ...
- ... enter your car, plug in the dongle, and follow the OBD dongle manufacturer's advices to connect the dongle to your iPhone.
- Watch the GPS view and wait until you get the OBD gadgets displayed (most probably showing no data and a red dot blinking from time to time). In case you do not get the OBD gadgets inserted, please switch to Sensor List and check the OBD dongle is visible and Connected. Wait a minute (not a lot more) and return to Expert Settings. In case you do not see the OBD dongle in Sensor List, you need to work on your dongle / iPhone connection - LapTimer cannot access the device at all.
- Select the row Send Logfile (if available) - and LapTimer will bring up a note including the log file. In case you are not prompted with this prepared email, you need to setup mail operation on your device first...
- You are NOT done! Please do not send this file without adding some information I need to debug and understand the context of the mail: a) add the name you used when you pinged me on the Forum or Facebook so I can identify the thread b) add the brand and model of your OBD dongle c) add the brand / model / year of the car we debug.