[FAQ] Preparing iOS and GoPro MultiCam Devices for Recording

Collection of all FAQs and HOW-TOs posted throughout the system. Read only.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: [FAQ] Preparing iOS and GoPro MultiCam Devices for Recor

Post by Harry »

It seems you deleted the video itself instead of the link between the lap and the video? To remove the link between a lap and a video, please simply swipe delete the respective row in "Lap Details". You need to do this for the lap discussed - I assume it shows a Master row with a NO VIDEO placeholder and a Picture in Picture video with a valid preview.

For the future, instead of deleting links, you may consider to reorder the videos: for a lap with the internal cam video in the Master position and the GoPro video in the PiP position, press the "Edit" button and reorder the videos by dragging them up / down.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Tom991S
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Tom991S »

Harry - thanks for the reply. I went into the lap details, tapped on the master video, scrolled to the bottom and hit delete. When I go back into the lap detail, I only see one video (no master row placeholder w/o video). It shows a previe picture (with the gopro footage), says "Type: Raw Video", but doesn't say master or anything like that....
Thanks
Tom
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

That's fine. As long as you have only one video attached, LapTimer shows "Preview" while with more than one video, you get "Master", "Picture in Picture #1" and so on. On the initial operation please take care. Your operation would have deleted both all links from laps to that video, and the video itself. In case you want to keep the video but just remove the link between the lap and the video, you need to either use a swipe delete action on the video row in Lap Details (*not* in Video Details), or press "Edit" plus "Delete" in Lap Details (again, not one level below in Video Details).

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Tom991S
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Tom991S »

Unfortunately it still won't overlay (despite just showing one video) - says invalid master, 1 PIP video included
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Have you transferred the GoPro video to your phone? In case you have not, this is as expected and I recommend reading the section "Experimental Support for GoPro HERO" in http://www.gps-laptimer.com/LapTimerDoc ... hapter.pdf :-)

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Tom991S
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Tom991S »

Yes, gopro video is on the phone and will play when I click on it in the lap details...
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Please export the lap to .hlptrl and send it to me (from Lap Details -> Export -> .hlptrl). I will check if there is a problem with the links...

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Tom991S
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Tom991S »

Sounds good - I sent it (thomas_frese@mck...)
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Sounds good, but isn't :-) The lap recording you sent actually looks o.k. and the issue seems to be around the video file itself. As the video can be played from within LapTimer, the format is not completely wrong. One possible reason for the Invalid Master message is a missing audio track, so you may check if you hear sound when the video is played. But that is actually a guess only, and there are probably completely different reasons.

There are actually two options to go forward: 1) create the GoPro video again using a defined and proven approach (see below) 2) you place the video on some file server so I can download and try to reproduce the message.

On 1) Using the free command line tool ffmpeg (can be googled for any platform), run this command to generate an iOS readable file:

Code: Select all

ffmpeg -i <goprovideo>.mp4 <videoforlaptimer>.mov
As an alternative, you can download Handbrake - which is basically a front end for ffmpeg.

And there is certainly one more option: reboot the iPhone and try again :-)

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Tom991S
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Tom991S »

Hi - I recreated the video from the original GoPro recording using ffmpeg only - for each of the parts recorded, I first downconverted to 720p
and then concatenated and added the metadata

ffmpeg -i GOPR0003.MP4 -vf scale=1280:720 part1.mov

ffmpeg --f concat -i myfile.txt -metadata genre="multicam://cloud/TF9-C8987ECF-GP" -c copy session3.mov
(where myfile.txt contains the filenames part1.mov, part2.mov etc)

Then synchronize with itunes. Video preview shows up in the lap details and I can also play it from there, but it still won't overlay - same error about an invalid master. I'll pm you with fileserver location for the video....

Thanks
Tom