Is the App purchase price a one off payment or a subscription?

All about app distribution, upgrades, editions, and refunds
doa88online
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Is the App purchase price a one off payment or a subscription?

Post by doa88online »

Hello

Absolute Noob here, apologies in advance for seemingly stupid questions. :?

I was just wondering, is the purchase price for the Harry's Laptimer app in the Appstore a one off price or a subscription? i.e. do I have to pay the asking price of £19.99 every year/month or do I pay it once and then have access to the software forevermore?

Also, i get that if you want to upgrade the app, from say the rookie version to the petrolhead version, then there is a fee associated. What i don't get is whether you have to pay for updates of the individual products? i.e. if I already own Petrolhead version V21, and subsequently V22 of the petrolhead product is released as an update, do I have to pay to get that update?

We've just bought an external GPS and a gopro 4 to take to track days with my old Man's MX5. Assuming I get the answers i'm expecting to the questions above we'll be buying harrys laptimer to record the data as it seems to be the most highly recommended product on the market! 8-)

Best
RW
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Is the App purchase price a one off payment or a subscription?

Post by Harry »

Hi,

With one exception (see below), all our apps come with a one time fee. Any update (e.g. v21 ‣ v22) has been free so far too.
There are some hundred users who bought LapTimer ten years ago. They have received dozens of updates and new features for free.

The exception is "Harry's LapTimer ToGo" published on the Chinese AppStore only.
It is free to install but requires in app purchase to access data recorded.

Any LapTimer edition can be upgraded (i.e. Rookie ‣ Petrolhead ‣ GrandPrix) to get the additional feature set available in the higher edition.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
doa88online
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by doa88online »

Thanks Harry, I look forward to trying the app out for the first time later on this year!
havasu486
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by havasu486 »

I could not get my app to recognize the GPS on my phone no matter what I tried. The last resort was to delete the app and reinstall it. How can I reinstall the Grand Prix upgrade?

Thanks
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Probably permission to access GPS has been rejected when asked? Whenever you get a request for permissions when using LapTimer, please agree. The app will not work as expected otherwise.

To restore upgrades, press Restore in LapTimer ‣ Administration ‣ Add-ons (iOS), or "repurchase" it from LapTimer ‣ Administration ‣ Add-ons ‣ GrandPrix Upgrade (Android). You will not be charged again.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
havasu486
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by havasu486 »

Harry wrote:Probably permission to access GPS has been rejected when asked? Whenever you get a request for permissions when using LapTimer, please agree. The app will not work as expected otherwise.

To restore upgrades, press Restore in LapTimer ‣ Administration ‣ Add-ons (iOS), or "repurchase" it from LapTimer ‣ Administration ‣ Add-ons ‣ GrandPrix Upgrade (Android). You will not be charged again.

- Harry
Thanks for the reply. Regarding the GPS that is what I thought even though the app had worked fine all summer. I went as far as resetting the GPS on my iPhone which forced me to "allow" all the apps and functions once again. This included Harry's Laptimer. Still the app did not work yet all the others on my phone did. This leads me to believe the GPS must be functioning properly. Regarding downloading the add-on again Apple Pay is requesting my fingerprint to verify payment. Are you certain I will not be charged again? I have enjoyed the app in the past but do not want to pay for it once again as it currently is not operational on this phone.

Thank You!!!!!!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

As long as you follow instructions in viewtopic.php?f=39&t=3341, I'm sure. ;-)

NB: many apps accept using location information derived from cellular and WiFi networks. This is so called triangulation. Opposed to this, GPS uses a dedicated chip and receives information to calculate position directly from satellites in the orbit. LapTimer uses GPS only because triangulated information is not useable on track. So even if e.g. the Maps app is working, it is not necessarily GPS what you are seeing.

A fresh install will always work provided you grant location permission and the GPS hardware is working.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image