[FAQ] How to handle videos recorded

All threads that are outdated are moved here.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

[FAQ] How to handle videos recorded

Post by Harry »

This is frequently requested information on the main workflow of video processing in LapTimer. For the details, please check the full video documentation available here.
  • We start with the recording process: running a video enabled LapTimer Edition (Petrolhead and above), you add video in addition to standard time and data recording by selecting the Timer View (landscape) and press the Video button. This will bring you to Video View and activate the cam at the same time. Staying in Video View while driving will create video recordings. In iOS, there is an additional option to leave Video View with video recording active in background: to enable this mode, close Video View by pressing the "Record Auto" button.
  • Although LapTimer displays a preview of an overlaid video in Video View, the actual creation of an overlaid video is a processing intensive task that cannot be performed in parallel to data recording. Once you have finished recording, you will find a session of lap data as well as a raw / original session video in LapTimer. The raw video can be seen in Video List. It is stored in LapTimer's sandbox in iOS and on the SD card with most available space in Android.
  • To create an overlaid video, select any of the laps recorded from LapTimer's Lap List. Scroll down to the video section (not Video List! we are in the lap's details here) and find a button labeled "Overlay" directly below the video preview. Press it and follow the instructions to select options and expand the lap range to be overlaid (multi lap overlays).
  • Overlaid videos are additional files that exist in parallel to the original recordings. In iOS, they are stored in the Photo library, while on Android, they are stored on the SD card again. Due to the fact overlaid videos are *additional* videos, more space is required to perform this process. For the details, please check Numbers, Numbers, Numbers.
  • Once the overlaid video is created, it is time to move both original and overlaid videos to the desktop or a server place. In iOS, you will either use Photo synchronization with iTunes to move the overlaid videos to the desktop, or publish the video to youtube from the Photo app. Transferring original videos is a bit more complicated as this files sit in LapTimer's sandbox - which is not "open" for random access. Several options here: 1) select the video in Video List and move it to the Photo app (and sync / distribute it from here), 2) copy / move the videos to your desktop using iBrowse or iFunbox, 3) delete them as you will not need them anymore (Video List -> Housekeeping). In Android, you can plug your SD card into your desktop to transfer raw and overlaid footage - or use tooling provided by your smartphone manufacturer to access some virtual SD cards.
  • iBrowse and iFunbox are free desktop tools available for both PCs and Macs. Using these tools you can move / copy / swap your video recordings (.mov files) between LapTimer's sandbox and your desktop. It is fine to move raw video to your desktop and move them back later too: LapTimer will keep the links between the session video files and the laps recorded.
I hope that helps.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
leecavturbo
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: [FAQ] How to handle videos recorded

Post by leecavturbo »

Can't we use a pc to overlay?
android device lacks processing speed
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

You can use DashWare. It is free and compatible with LapTimer's CSV export.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
b-stead
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by b-stead »

Harry, I shot video today at Palmer. I used my lap timer for the second time. I have 3 laps that HLT triggered the goprop to turn on and record. BUT, they are not showing up with the video camera icon within the lap list.

** How can I overlay 3 laps if they don't show up on the lap list? Video isn't even an option.

Help ?

Thanks
B-Stead
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Please read about the process to overlay external footage in Video Documentation available from www.gps-laptimer.de/documentation

Other than for videos recorded using the internal cam, you need to transfer and re-link external videos.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
b-stead
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by b-stead »

That's 70 pages WOW. I skimmed through and figured it out, as follows:

1) Download the gopro video onto my iphone
2) open up the Harry's app, go to the lap list
3) click edit & "add video"
4) Pull in the video and match it to the lap time / synching the lap and video
5) Save & Export

Done !
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

No, actually it is 27. :-) The page numbering is from the overall LapTimer documentation - which is published in parts only.
But you are right, it is not complicated once you understand the flow. The problem is that each step can get very complicated once you leave the standard path. And believe me, there is no statement in the doc people didn't ask for several times. ;-)

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
b-stead
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by b-stead »

Harry, you should do some more, basic short tutorials on YouTube. Something like 2-4 minutes, with topics such as:

- At-the-track tips, how to save battery life, ensure you have video every time, etc.
- Overlaying / post-production tips
- Understanding all the data HLT collects

Here is my second HLT overlay creation btw:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-SoW_apdac

I love the app btw - great job. I am just still figuring it all out. I have 10+ hours into messing around with it at now two tracks. I'll get it .. maybe I am slow in many ways ..
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

b-stead wrote:Harry, you should do some more, basic short tutorials on YouTube. Something like 2-4 minutes, with topics such as:

- At-the-track tips, how to save battery life, ensure you have video every time, etc.
- Overlaying / post-production tips
- Understanding all the data HLT collects
Yes, I'm aware. ;-)

- Harry
Image Image Image Image