Can I Connect BT Microphone?

Discussion related to external microphones and other audio stuff
Dubbedown
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Dubbedown »

Just wondering, if I'm recording Video with HLT on my IP4, is it possible to also connect a bluetooth microphone (for recording purpose)? Problem is with the iPhone mounted on the windshield, I pick up excessive wind noise. Wondering if its possible to put a remote (wireless) microphone elsewhere via BT, and if HLT would support it?

Maybe the more basic question is, is there even such a thing as non-headset BT microphone that is compatible with IP4?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The only thing I can say is that everything you can connect as a headset seems to work fine.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
Dubbedown
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Can I Connect BT Microphone?

Post by Dubbedown »

So not sure if others are interested but for the sake of sharing knowledge, I could not find any bluetooth mic for the iPhone. The only thing I could find were BT headsets but that's not exactly the best way of recording audio. So instead I'm going to use a regular wired microphone. Turns out though, a regular (non-powered, ie no batteries) mic will not work with the iPhone without an adapter that will help power the mic:

http://www.kvconnection.com/product-p/km-iphone-mic.htm

Also keep in in mind may mics are mono and not stereo. So if you want to save yourself the hassle of having to edit audio via software, you should buy a cheap mono to stereo 3.5mm adapter.

So wired mic + iPhone adapter + (maybe) mono to stereo adapter is all you need to run a microphone in a remote location. From my research, while some folks have had success with running a mic in the rear bumper (ie with GoPro HD 2), it's not the optimal location if you're device (iPhone) is mounted all the way up front by the windshield. Instead, I found out the passenger footwell is an excellent location to isolate motor noise w/o effects of wind. Plus since it's so close to the windshield, it should be fairly easy to route the wiring through the dash.

Will post videos after I get all my equipment set up.
Yellowjacketboss302
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Yellowjacketboss302 »

I simply use the ear buds / microphone that comes with the iPhone. I tape it to the XGPS unit I have and place it up close to the windshield. Cuts down on the wind noise considerably. Here is an example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oa8FqD4Y9w
Of course, this only works if your iPhone is close to where you want to mount the microphone.
-- Jim
SOFTCLICK
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by SOFTCLICK »

Harry wrote:The only thing I can say is that everything you can connect as a headset seems to work fine.

Harry
Unfortunately, I have a bluetooth headset and working with iPhone but HLP uses the built in phone. I used wired phone and works ok, but I use in a motorcycle so is too dangerous to use in a crash.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

It is a headset you can make calls with?

Harry
Image Image Image Image