External mic or change audio source?

Discussion related to external microphones and other audio stuff
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: External mic or change audio source?

Post by Harry »

This configuration looks pretty good!
Image Image Image Image
glennQNYC
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by glennQNYC »

Harry wrote:The selectable audio stream is on my list, but is not scheduled yet. Haven't been aware on the HERO mic but agree adding cables to the roof is not great.
I am surprised adding an external mic to an iPhone master isn't more popular. Please consider this post a contribution to the request box. :)

Last year I made a foam windscreen for my iPhone 5s, this year I got a little more fancy and purchased some Rycote Micro Windjammers for my iPhone 6. While I am able to manage wind buffeting the mic; my master iPhone is just not in a great place to pick up audio.
Loris4Stegan
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Loris4Stegan »

xps911 wrote:thanks for the reply. An interesting idea to add the audio source after, but what I love about the harrys laptimer is that it doesnt take long to do, and that would be another process, to add into the mix.

Have you any thoughts on being able to select the audio? As I could quite happily purchase a BT mic for the iphone, and have it mounted somewhere, which would be recorded from the iphone footage.

HERO do to an external microphone, it's an official usb to aux: http://www.amazon.co.uk/GoPro-3-5mm-Her ... 00A3MY7L8/

but you will need a new case: http://www.amazon.co.uk/E-PRANCE-Skelet ... 00ITHMOLO/

and then a microphone of some sort, but the idea of a cable flapping around at speed..........
Thanks for the post, My question is, even when I delete the primary iPhone video, is HLT not able to pull the audio source from the GoPro (external mic)?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

LapTimer always used the audio stream coming with the Master video. This is independent from the source (internal cam or action cam) - it is just a question of the video's role during overlaying. What is not possible - and this is what this discussion has been about - is to select an arbitrary video from master + multiple PiPs for using its audio track.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

You could do it, but it's not trivial and can't be done inside HLT. You'd need to demux the relevant videos, i.e. split the audio and video streams with the appropriate program on a computer, and then combine the audio track you wanted with the video you wanted, remux and transfer to the phone or whatever for overlay. As I said, not trivial.
slvbullet
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: External mic or change audio source? 2021

Post by slvbullet »

Sorry to raise this post from the dead. I was able to connect an external mic to an iPhone XR and Harry's v24; It worked :D However I could not move the switch under video setting for external microphone. Perhaps the switch doesn't work anymore? I plugged the ext mic with a lightening extension directly into the phone's lightening port. I tried using a splitter to be able to use the mic and charge the phone but it didn't work - some splitters don't support the mic - I'll try another one.

Should I be able to use the ext. mic switch in settings?

thanks much
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

This switch should actually be removed. I have not seen a microphone supporting this "external microphone" iOS channel ever. It had been added to check the API as an option, but it seems to be useless. Make sure the microphone is used a the default mic by the phone (test with a audio recorded or the built in cam app). This will allow LapTimer to use it too.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
slvbullet
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by slvbullet »

Thank you Harry