GoPro Hero 7 Compatibility

Discussion related to external cam aka action cams and lenses
Mark-McG
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

GoPro Hero 7 Compatibility

Post by Mark-McG »

Hi there,

I have been using and loving the lap timer. I want to go a step further and record using a GoPro with the timer.

I was considering the latest hero 7 for the smoothest footage but I notice that the app only mentions the hero 6. Can anyone confirm if the 7 does or does not work?

Thanks, Mark
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: GoPro Hero 7 Compatibility

Post by Harry »

I received multiple confirmations it is working using the HERO 6 setting. I have not received a report on problems.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
PitrsRS
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by PitrsRS »

Hi, I tried GoPro 6 mode with 7 Black camera and I have some issues. Phone looks like connected to the GP, but HLT dont see it. I must turn off and on wifi on phone, then I hear some beeps from camera but its still disconected
2016 SEAT Leon CUPRA 290 ST

HLT Grand Prix (Android) + OBDLink LX BT + XGPS160 + GoPro 11 Black + GoPro 7 Black
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

This is most probably around the issues we face with all action cam connections - i.e. not HERO 7 specific.

Please see Video Documentation on www.gps-laptimer.de/documentation for a step by step description.

The most frequent issues are about keeping the WiFi connection between smartphone and action cam (smartphones tend to drop connection because it does not provide Internet access), and access conflicts with GoPro's own app. The later needs to be killed to allow LapTimer access the HERO.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
PitrsRS
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by PitrsRS »

And what about Bluetooth connection to maintain connectivity between app and camera? Because if I´m right, even if camera is off, and connection is enabled, then camera keeping BT alive for wake up and after woke up turn on wifi

HLT Grand Prix (Android) + OBDLink LX BT + XGPS160 + GoPro 11 Black + GoPro 7 Black
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, that's what I name "GoPro Over-Engineering". They use BT to sleep and wake up the cam's WiFi to safe battery. The odd thing for the user is, that WiFi may drop without notice in case the app is not talking to the cam. It will still show WiFi is active, but actually isn't. That's the reason I recommend to run the steps from enabling GoPro WiFi / join the network / enable external video recording in one sequence. Once LapTimer has external video recording enabled (Race ‣ Timer ‣ Video), it will constantly send "keep alive" messages. This is making sure the connection isn't lost.

GoPro's Bluetooth interface is not documented publicly. They had a 3rd party program which allowed access, but it has been closed 2 years ago. That's the reason WiFi is the only communication used for remote controlling.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
PitrsRS
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by PitrsRS »

I never thought that I´ll say it but "golden GoPro3" I never had problems like this on it :/

PitrsRS
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by PitrsRS »

I dont get it. I see in app connected camera. After that, when I click on "Start" app start recording. Until this point it looks OK. BUT. When I click on "STOP", counter is stopped, but camera recording is still going. It records maybe 10-20s more and than camera will stop recording.

After that, when I hit "START" again, app start counting, but camera will do nothing. I tried it several times and everytime its the same :( So I clicked on "STOP" and after maybe 1 minute later camera itself started recording for few seconds. It looks like some big LAG in communication.

Can it be a problem with combination of Android and GoPro?
Attachments
Screenshot_20190211-213117.png
Screenshot_20190211-213117.png (225.92 KiB) Viewed 8103 times

Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

PitrsRS wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:20 pm I never thought that I´ll say it but "golden GoPro3" I never had problems like this on it :/
Indeed, it had no Bluetooth. Instead it had separate WiFi and cam modules (in one case). The WiFi could be power on while the cam could be turned on and off to not use battery.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
PitrsRS
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by PitrsRS »

Hi Harry, any thoughts about my last post about problems with communication? :?