GoPro Hero 4 on 2 different phones

Discussion related to external cam aka action cams and lenses
Kenneth
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

GoPro Hero 4 on 2 different phones

Post by Kenneth »

My GoPro Hero4 black works on my old phone (OnePlus One with Android 6.0.1 with HLT GrandPrix v22.1.4 without GoPro app installed) but since yesterday I got a new phone (Oneplus 6 with Android 9 (OxygenOS 9.0.2) and HLT GrandPrix v22.1.4 with GoPro app installed) and I cant get my GoPro to work in the HLT app. It does however work in the GoPro app so I know it connects.

I already made sure it is connected properly with WiFi on both phones. On the old one, it says connected in the Multicam Video in the sensor list, on the new phone it just says Multicam Video available.

I also read plenty of other treads that had similar problems, but did not get it to work on the new phone.

Could this be due to the GoPro app installed or the newer version of Android? Because I am currently out of ideas and I would like to use my new phone for my trackdays.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: GoPro Hero 4 on 2 different phones

Post by Harry »

This is most probably due to GoPro's app. The problem does not occur because it is installed, but when it is active in background. The GoPro is not able to connect to more than one app at a time. GoPro's app considers the cam its own property and keeps it connected, thus blocking LapTimer to access it. Simply kill the app and try LapTimer again.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Kenneth
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Kenneth »

I tried that already, but I think I will try to uninstall it just to make sure if it is the problem it not. If it appears not to be the problem, what other options do I have to make this work?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

You know how to kill an app on your smartphone? As this is standard WiFi communication, I doubt it is some principle issue with the new device. I do not have experience with Android 9 so far, but as the current LapTimer app has been developed against Android 8, new limitations in 9 should be handled as backward compatibility. This means you need to check the potential access conflict and all types of configuration - LapTimer Settings in particular.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Kenneth
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Kenneth »

Yes i know how to do that, I removed the app just to be sure. Will test in a few when I get home.
Kenneth
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Kenneth »

Ok, uninstalled the GoPro app, rebooted the phone, made direct wi-fi connection with the GoPro, checked twice to see it was actually connected. The result is still the same, HLT still cant find my GoPro on my new phone. I rechecked the settings several times. I don't know where to look next to make this work. I would prefer to be able to use the in-app video option with overlay, rather than do it manually, which i find rather difficult to get correct.

Any ideas?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I have an alpha version available soon. In case you want to run a full logging of external cam communication using this alpha, please send a mail to Harry@gps-laptimer.de and I will send instructions. Please note this will be techie stuff. ;-) The production version does not have the necessary logging enabled.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image