Using a Dash Cam with HLT Grand Prix and OBD2

Discussion related to external cam aka action cams and lenses
CrashBandicoot
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Using a Dash Cam with HLT Grand Prix and OBD2

Post by CrashBandicoot »

Hi guys,

I just bought Harry's Lap Timer Grand Prix to prep for some track recording. I'm still deciding on which camera setup to buy to go along with it.

I am trying to accomplish a few things:

1) Lap timing with GPS (HLT + external GPS)

2) OBD2 data [throttle input, speed, revs, temp, etc.] (Bluetooth ELM327 adapter)

3) Overlayed on a dash cam-type video on the fly without having to export to a PC

First of all, is this possible to do all within the app, or does the combination of the three require me to use an actual computer to do it?

Second of all, as far as the camera goes, am I able to use popular dash cams instead of something like a GoPro? I'm trying to buy a dash cam so I have something to record my driving while off-track in case of an accident and I'd like to be able to use the same camera for track driving. Many dash cams have GPS built in so it'd be nice to have the camera and GPS functionality built into one unit as well. I'd rather not leave a GoPro in my car for regular street driving and dedicated dash cams are better for the job anyways.

Thank you for the help and the great app!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Using a Dash Cam with HLT Grand Prix and OBD2

Post by Harry »

The scenario is fine and is done using your smartphone only. Please check www.gps-laptimer.de/compatibility/ios or www.gps-laptimer.de/compatibility/android for compatible devices.

Using a Dash Cam is possible provided it delivers one of the standard video formats used on smartphones. If not, you will need to convert it. Please check Video Documentation available from www.gps-laptimer.de/documentation for the step necessary to transfer footage to LapTimer. A DashCam will not deliver good videos, and keep in mind using external footage is considerable more complex than just using your smartphone's cam.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
BookerL
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: Using a Dash Cam with HLT Grand Prix and OBD2

Post by BookerL »

I used my dash cam to record my last lapping day and like you mentioned the quality ain't great. Maybe it's my old cam so looking to get a new one. Saw a few good ones on https://dashcamreviews.org that might do the job.
Has anyone else had experience with recording high speed footage? They work great in and around town ( it's intended purpose) but on the track I haven't heard of much success. Maybe just stick to my gopro...