Trouble with RAM iPhone mount stability

Discussion related to external cam aka action cams and lenses
dbbarron
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Trouble with RAM iPhone mount stability

Post by dbbarron »

I used HLT for the first time today at AX and used my iphone 6+ for HLT as well as the video cam. I wanted instant video feedback and review after runs so I did not use my GoPro.

I obtained just about the worst stability video I have ever seen.
https://youtu.be/6vi-u1Jb45Q

I used a RAM Rab-B-166u with iphone 6+ cradle as recommended by many:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002I ... UTF8&psc=1

It was attached to the center top of the windshield on my 997.2 as in the attached pics.

Everything is tight and seems stable.
I should note that if I attach my gopro to the mount also in the pic with a standard bracked, it is produces dead stable video.

I tried video stabilization on and off with the iphone - off is better - avoids a weird rolling effect.

Any suggestions?
Attachments
IMG_3203.JPG
IMG_3203.JPG (82.75 KiB) Viewed 1777 times
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Trouble with RAM iPhone mount stability

Post by Harry »

[Moved to Cams]

This looks like a combo from a bumpy tarmac and the well know rolling shutter effect we see for all later generation iOS and Android phones. The latest changes in cam technology seem to have worsened the results for typical on track scenarios. Please search the forum for experience and some limited help. The rolling shutter seems to be related to engine vibrations not getting filtered by the RAM mount (too stable). It probably requires some damping for the area from 2000 to 8000 Hz. Action cams do not suffer from that issue.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
dbbarron
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Trouble with RAM iPhone mount stability

Post by dbbarron »

Thanks for the information. That leaves me in a difficult place as a my iPhone on the dash was my only option which also gives me instant video feedback. IOS multicam is buggy until revised and GoPro video does not upload to the phone fast enough. Any suggestions?
Does the new iPad mini or iPod Touch have this camera problem?