GoPro Hero Session

Discussion related to external cam aka action cams and lenses
borgue
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

GoPro Hero Session

Post by borgue »

Hi,

not sure if discussed previously, is the GoPro hero session compatible with the app?

Cheers,

Ollie.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: GoPro Hero Session

Post by Harry »

There is a partial compatibility, but it is not included in GoPro's list of compatible devices for the 3rd party interface used. I plan to investigate on workarounds in Autumn.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
dbbarron
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by dbbarron »

Until you address this in the software, what is the best approach to trying to use a GoPro Session (as I have 2).
Today was a total fail trying to use one. It did not start recording reliably, dropped the network interface now and again, and froze up a few times. I am very disappointed with what appears to be a camera with a very buggy firmware.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The Session is not compatible. So you should not be disappointed if it doesn't work and instead be happy if it works from time to time at all! ;-) This is no buggy firmware either, it is not designed to work with 3rd party apps currently. The good news is I found some information to work around. Please watch the announcements to see when it gets support.

For now, operate the Sessions manually and add the videos to LapTimer manually too. Video Documentation from www.gps-laptimer.de/documentation describes how to do this.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
dbbarron
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by dbbarron »

Even run manually, the Session seems to lock up at random and otherwise become sluggish in responses (several second delay after button press).
I have two of them - one is worse than the other - they are both however bad.

db
dbbarron
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by dbbarron »

I realized that many of my GoPro Session problems were due to an incompatible memory card (two different models PNY cards, both class 10 plus). They would cause significant delays in operation and general freeze ups. The moment the cards were removed, all went normal. That was the clue.

I just purchased and installed a Sandisk card from the GoPro 'approved list'; and a Lexar also from the approved list. Initial signs are good. All common operations repeatedly work quickly and properly.

Of course, I must test all this with the not-yet-ready-for-Session HLT software. The first trick is turning the camera ON. So, turn on Wifi on the camera, connect to the camera wifi from the iphone, start the GoPro app and connect to the GoPro, then once connected, the camera is 'on'; back out of the app and close it. Then go to HLT-->Race-->Video-->External.

This seems to work, I have had blue and green blinks on the camera in HLT for 1/2 hour and all seems happy, alive and ready.

Is there any way to have HLT trigger the camera to record (for test) without driving around my neighborhood?

db
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, testing is described in Video Documentation on www.gps-laptimer.de/documentation

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
dbbarron
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by dbbarron »

I have been having increased luck recently with the GoPro Session.
First, manual start in Race-->Time Mode seems to start the camera fine.

Second, I realized one only has to turn the camera 'On' long enough for HLT to start its keep alive cadence communications with the camera.

Thus, my process is now to turn on the camera wifi and connect the phone to the camera Wifi.

Then go to HLT and select Race-->Timer-->Video.

Before hitting 'External Cam' tap the small selector button on the session once (not the big Record button). Then hit External Cam on Harrys.

Apparently this tap is enough 'on' for the session to start responding the the keep alive cadence HLT sends (The Green and Blue flashing dots mean this is all good and HLT is ready for camera control. A single grey dot means HLT is not talking to the camera).

Once that keep alive starts, the Session is happy for extended time and responds to start/stop messages from HLT, etc. One can get this going in the pits well in advance of your run group.

Relatedly, thinking of getting a Hero 5 on release tomorrow and playing around. Hoping it behaves like a 4.

db
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, please let us know too. I do not have any information from GoPro whether it has a changed interface, but they do not support it officially yet for 3rd parties.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
dbbarron
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by dbbarron »

I did not buy a Hero 5. The 'Frame' mount was not yet available which would have left me with no hardwired power option. I will wait until the Frame and other accessories (such as audio in cable) are available.