iPhone vs. Android Smartphone

Discussion related to external cam aka action cams and lenses
shanten
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

iPhone vs. Android Smartphone

Post by shanten »

Hi all,

I'm writing here, because I'm not happy with the results of my iPhone 6s. There mainly two issues:

1. Camera:
Independently which setting I use (fixed Autofocus or not, etc.): The camera picture is very bad because of the so called jello effect.

2. Acceleration Sensor:
Very often the accelaration sensor is just hanging around in the lower left corner and does not measure correctly.

So I was wondering, if any android device can do it better?
I would be happy for any recommendation!

Thank you in advance.

br
Sven
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: iPhone vs. Android Smartphone

Post by Harry »

1. When using an iPhone6S currently, only late and high end Androids will be acceptable for you at all. Jello has become an issue for all late devices, the dated iPhone 4S has been the best solution here. So no, this will not solve your issue. In case you have done everything to get the cam vibration free and are still not happy, the only remaining option is an action cam from my point of view.

2. That's a problem with the mounting position. Please make sure you have Automatic selected as the Accelerometer preset (LapTimer's Settings) and check illustration #4 in LapTimer's quick reference for the precise mounting position to use. For existing recordings suffering from a wrong mounting, select the lap from Lap List, press Recalculate / Acceleration. This will calculate acceleration values from GPS.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
shanten
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by shanten »

Hi Harry,

thank you for your feedback.
I've now tryed different options a whole day long.

I got the best picture quality with an GoPro Hero 4. But the usability is what I do not like that much: controlling the GoPro didn't work everytime reliable and the transfer of the video to the smartphone take a lot of time.

So I would prefer a one device solution: I have also tested a bit more with the iPhone 6s: When recording in 720p instead of 1080p it seems to be a bit more stable and I also tried another RAM mount with shorter arm (5cm instead of 10cm), which reduced the motion of the smartphone a bit. In addition I ordered a samsung galaxy s7. Let's the difference, when it arrived... keep you updated.

br,
Sven
tdott
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by tdott »

shanten wrote: In addition I ordered a samsung galaxy s7. Let's the difference, when it arrived... keep you updated.

br,
Sven
Have you tested the S7 yet?
Thinking of upgrading my iPhone 4 used for HLT only. But it sounds like a GoPro might be better option.
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

the transfer of the video to the smartphone take a lot of time.
That's true only if you do the transfer over Wi-Fi. It's faster to take the camera out of the case, pull the SD card and put it into an Apple lightning to SD card adapter and plug it into your phone. That automatically brings up the photo app and you can select the video(s) you want to transfer. It's quite fast. For microSD cards, you need the micro to SD adapter that should have come with your microSD card. If you don't have one, they're inexpensive.