360 degree footage ?

Discussion related to external cam aka action cams and lenses
philooo
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

360 degree footage ?

Post by philooo »

Lately 360 degree cams are getting cheap like BUBL or Ricoh
Any plan to work with a 360 camera model .

I think these camera are going to be very hot in our hobby!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 360 degree footage ?

Post by Harry »

Yes, that's an interesting topic. To overlay such footage however, there are several questions that need to be answered: the person watching can change the FOV (field of view) all the time. Adding gauges to a specific position (like today) does not seem sound in this scenario? At least as long as gauges are not tied to objects visible (like a car driving ahead - e.g. show the other driver's name)... So to add gauges, it looks like it would make more sense to add a separate plane and supply it to the 3D viewer. This plane needs to be fixed to the rectangle on screen, not the FOV selected. Video formats used for 360 degree videos are discussed e.g. here: http://www.360heros.com/2015/02/4k-vr-3 ... roduce-it/ It is quite interesting. I do not know which technologies are used for viewers and if adding this extra plane is something available. More research to be done...

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by bulls23 »

I've had a Ricoh Theta m15 for quite a while and they even have a API for third parties including WiFi remote controlling. My model can only make videos up to 5 minutes at a time but the newer one makes videos up to 25 minutes at 30fps. Te cameras have gyroscope and compass if I remember right, which is great for pictures if you are holding the camera by hand. That data is later used to determine the bottom of the picture so even tilted pictures work fine.
Unfortunately I haven't found an App for Theta, providing some sort of deactivation for the gyroscope and compass. If you fix mount the camera in a car, the post-processed video will react to the g-forces. Might be great for bikes, but bad for cars. Apparently the gyroscope data is stored in some kind of meta data...but haven't found anything on removing that either. Here a re two test videos, first the double fish eye video from the camera, second the processed 360 video, both videos have no sound, removed it because of the radio running in background and copyrights:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTaglrPaCTY[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhY_YpnXArw[/youtube]

As you can see, the first video does not move at all, while the second does...and I wasn't driving hard..so that should get a lot worse on the Nordschleife ;-)

As for the position of the overlay...I guess a fixed position would be fine since services like youtube don't have the ability to add a hovering data overlay (as far as I'm aware). Look how Nissan did it:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD4XfM2TZ2k[/youtube]
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by bulls23 »

Did a quick and dirty 360 video with Laptimer overlay. I overlayed the data to a blue screen on my iPhone and then used that video with some ultra keying to put it on the equirectangular video, placing and resizing the gadgets so they end up at the front of the video:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIHSTSzFID8[/youtube]

btw. It seems you need to watch these 360 videos on Youtube using the title link, they don't seem to work when embeded in the forum.
philooo
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by philooo »

Holly molly bulls23 !! 360 video seems to already be supported ;)

ahahaha... the overlay right in the front of the camera, that is awesome. could be improved but right out of the box, I think it is AWESOME !

NO QUESTION, this is the future standard for in car videos !
petterbw
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by petterbw »

The Samsung Gear 360 just dropped in price. I think it could make some really cool videos. Although it is a lot of data to process for a mobile... so it would be time consuming to render... but probably worth it ;)

As for the overlay, I think it would be enough for them to be statically placed i the video. Like the gauge cluster in the dash or a HUD

-Petter
HiFiGuy
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by HiFiGuy »

The Samsung Gear is now $69 on Amazon. I am going to get one just to try. I vote for the video being overlaid constantly on the viewing window, and not moving around. I would love to have the perspective and the need for only one camera to cover all angles for spec racing series' requirements, like NASA SpecE30. Much cheaper than having to buy and tie in two or more GoPro cameras.
gremlin
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gremlin »

bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by bulls23 »

I just got myself a Samsung Gear 360 2017 since the price dropped quite a lot in the last months.
Any news on HLT overlay compatibility?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Not for v22, I'm sorry.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image