Accelerometer issue using "master" iPhone as rear-facing

Discussion related to external cam aka action cams and lenses
marchewitt
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Accelerometer issue using "master" iPhone as rear-facing

Post by marchewitt »

Hi Harry,

First, THANKS! for creating such a cool and well thought out app. I've only used it for one track weekend so far and have already put it to use analyzing my driving.

So far I have run HLT on an iPhone 5, with a GoPoint BT1 OBD sensor and nothing else. That works great, but now I want to use multicam to add my GoPro Hero 4 Silver as a second camera. Here's the tricky part: I want to use the GoPro as the forward-facing camera (because of its better video quality and more available memory) and use my iPhone as a rear-facing camera.

I've tested out the iPhone facing the rear already (without the GoPro) and it works fine, except that the accelerometer appears to reverse the lineal acceleration forces (apparently thinking the car is going backwards). When I brake the dot moves down on the accelerometer display, and when I accelerate the dot moves up. The lateral acceleration seems to be working fine, since I selected "reverse lateral acceleration" in the expert settings.

Am I doing something wrong, or is there a way to use the phone running HLT facing backwards without compromising the data captured? Thanks in advance.

-Marc Hewitt
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Accelerometer issue using "master" iPhone as rear-facing

Post by bulls23 »

The spring release of v19 will feature a "reverse longitudinal acceleration" option as well and is already in beta testing.
If you need it now, you could mount the iPhone facing the front and then using the front camera instead of the back camera. You can change the camera while in the video view. Resolution of the front camera will be lower though.
marchewitt
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by marchewitt »

Bulls23,

Great, thanks very much.

I'll probably just wait for the next release - did you mean it will be out this spring sometime?

I haven't yet attempted integrating the GoPro video with the HLT video on my iPhone yet either, which is kind of daunting because of the manual steps in linking the videos. Do you know if the new version will include any additional support for integrating GoPro videos? Thank you again.

-Marc
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by bulls23 »

Yes, this spring.
Never had a Gopro...v19 also features Sony cams support and I have one of those. There I just have to move the Sony video to my iPhone and re-link it with the lap / laps and HLT will keep the time sync points regardless of the meta stuff. I guess it's like that for Gopros as well for the moment.