iPod Touch 3rd Gen As MultiCam Question

Discussion related to external cam aka action cams and lenses
jmciver
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by jmciver »

Can an iPod Touch 3rd Gen, which can only run iOS 5.1.1 work as a multi cam using the HLT MultiCam companion app? They are pretty cheap on eBay (less than $100) and I was thinking of picking one up as a cheap second camera to use with HLT.

However, with iOS support going away for older devices, I wanted to make sure it would work first.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Not recommended from my side. The latest MultiCam app still supports 5.1. On the other hand, any non-bug fix future update will be 7.1 minimum and probably break operation for this investment. I update MultiCam only in cases it is absolutely necessary, but changes in connection technology or cloud storage will probably force me to do this step sometimes in 2015.

So using a iPod touch available already is fine, but please do not spend money on a "new" one.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
jmciver
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: iPod Touch 3rd Gen As MultiCam Question

Post by jmciver »

Thanks for the reply. I figured that might be the case. It is too bad since used iPod 3rd Gens go for even less than $50 on eBay many times and would be a very cheap MultiCam option.

I don't know if it would be worth your programming time, or if Apple policies would even allow it, but you might consider keeping a "special" version of the MultiCam app available that will work with the iPod 3rd gens (iOS 5.1.1) since they are such a cost effective and capable video camera alternative (hardware wise anyway). For the price of one GoPro, you could have 3-4 used iPod 3rd gens for MultiCam options and there are several car mounting options available that will work as well, both inside and out of the car.

Maybe too many camera options I guess 8-) .
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: iPod Touch 3rd Gen As MultiCam Question

Post by Harry »

Maybe too many days I need to spend with outdated versions ;-)
Image Image Image Image