Sony Action cam

Discussion related to external cam aka action cams and lenses
psych0hans
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Sony Action cam

Post by psych0hans »

Hi guys, is it possible to use the wifi recording function with a Sony camera, or is it limited to the GoPro? Also, when will the video overlay via wifi be available?
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Sony Action cam

Post by bulls23 »

Not yet, also waiting for that feature :D For now it's Gopros only.
Overlay via Wifi? I guess that kind of video editing can't be done over Wifi.
Qomomoko
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Sony Action cam

Post by Qomomoko »

That would be ubber sweet!!!

But the lean angle for motorcycles, would the video need to be re-overlayed for recalculation of lateral acceleration so as to make it "better" when using the wifi overlay ?

This program HLT has awoken the Geek in me from middle school, it had been a while!!
psych0hans
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by psych0hans »

GoPro tends to be on the more expensive side. I hope they open up the app for more wifi cameras
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

psych0hans wrote:GoPro tends to be on the more expensive side. I hope they open up the app for more wifi cameras
It's more like the other camera makers opening up their API, if I understand correctly.
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by bulls23 »

Yes, GoPro tend to keep all in house and others like Sony publicly make APIs available:

https://developer.sony.com/downloads/ca ... -beta-sdk/

All of the GoPro functionality you find in 3rd party Apps is based on reverse engineering from people all over the world.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

[Moved to Accessories/Cams]
Image Image Image Image
srwhitman
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: Sony Action cam, also OBDLink MX Wifi

Post by srwhitman »

Harry, so I see the current release supposedly has support for the Sony action cam. I just got an AS100V. How do I test this out? I tried setting it up in my neighborhood by defining a new track. I have the Sony on wifi and it works fine with their app. I don't see any specific discussion in documentation or this forum how to get the Sony to work.

I'm assuming what it should do is when the timer passes a start line that would be a trigger (and the timer actually starts), it should also start the Sony. Well, I tried that and nothing happens on the Sony (but the timer does start just fine).

Also, what do I do with my video afterward? I saw something on the forum elsewhere that I only certain cameras from Sony can transfer the video back to the phone for overlay processing - is this camera one?

Finally, I have the OBDLink MX WIFI. I have had it work fine with the iphone camera and it overlays great but I gather with the Sony camera, if I can get HLT to actually trigger it that the OBDLink won't connect in infrastructure mode. You mention as much here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2880

I suppose another option is to just turn on the Sony manually? But I was hoping that with "support" that there would be some magic that would later allow post-processing of the video in the phone (for overlays) just like the internal camera processing - is that the case or am I wrong?

Actually, I was looking on OBDLink's web site and they talk about infrastructure mode for what (I think) we all want: http://www.obdlink.com/mxwf/advanced-gu ... -internet/ . But, this seems to only work on Android phones. I was wondering if I could set my iphone as a hotspot and get it to work that way but it turns out because of the phone plan I'm on, it won't allow me to even set up a mobile hotspot.

So at this point, I'm hoping I can get some info on how to set up the Sony but I am also guessing that getting the MX Wifi won't work and I should switch to bluetooth although I gather the OBDLink MX BT won't work on the iPhone! Bummer. That would also allow 2 devices there right (I also have the Dual GPS).
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi,

Sony cam connection making works exactly like for GoPros:

1) Let the Sony create a WiFi
2) Join this Wi-Fi with the smartphone
3) Enable MultiCam discovery and switch cam type to Sony in LapTimer
4) Make sire you have GrandPrix edition and upgrade if you don't have it
5) Switch to Video View and verify you get a Sony placeholder PiP displayed after a few seconds

Once this is done, the cam will be started and stopped in parallel to data recording and internal cam.

The OBDLink MX Wifi has been designed to join an existing WiFi (like the Sony's), but it actually doesn't work reliably. They need some Wi-Fi firmware updates from the chip provider (so outside the area they are managing themselves) to get that solved, but it seems this doesn't happen. Disappointing. This in turn means either you use a Bluetooth OBD adapter like the GoPoint BT1, or you operate the Sony cam manually. The OBDLink MX BT is Android only.

When operating the cam manually, you need to transfer video from cam SD card to the smartphone (one of the folders shown in LapTimer's Video List), select any lap from Lap List covered by the video, press Edit / New Video and select the video transferred. Next, LapTimer will guide you through synchronization. Once this is done, you can overlay the Sony video just like one recorded using the internal cam.

Automatic transfer of footage (like for the HERO4) is not yet available. This part of Sony's API is crippled and not accessible to 3rd parties. I have an idea how to work around, but it is not yet added. So Sonys are in the same boat like HERO3/3+ cams currently.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
b16bvtec
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by b16bvtec »

Harry wrote:Hi,

Sony cam connection making works exactly like for GoPros:

1) Let the Sony create a WiFi
2) Join this Wi-Fi with the smartphone
3) Enable MultiCam discovery and switch cam type to Sony in LapTimer
4) Make sire you have GrandPrix edition and upgrade if you don't have it
5) Switch to Video View and verify you get a Sony placeholder PiP displayed after a few seconds

Once this is done, the cam will be started and stopped in parallel to data recording and internal cam.

- Harry
Hi Harry,
just brought HLT GP V19.x starting to get use to it. I must say what a great apps you have created.
here is just some glitch that I am experience with the Sony action cam.
I follow the above steps and 9/10 time the sony placeholder pip will not display. I have try restarting the apps / phone / sony cam. only 1 time I was able to get the sony placeholder pip to display.
I notice on the status bar the camcorder icon will be solid white.
I have also confirm the setting for muti cam to be turn on and set in PiP mode with sony camcorder active.

Please advise