Wide angle lense, fish eye?

Discussion related to external cam aka action cams and lenses
NRGDEAD
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Wide angle lense, fish eye?

Post by NRGDEAD »

Hi everybody,

Mostly for the inside shots, but maybe also for the front facing iPhone, I am thinking of buying a cheap wide angle lens, or a fish eye. Or a set of both, as a major online store offers a few sets here.

Now I don't want to "glue" anything onto my precious iPhone, but rather clamp it on. Question is: Are there lenses that will clamp easy on front and rear lenses of iPhones 4 to 5, without potentially damaging the phone, but still be firm enough to not move or even fall off during a few laps of the Nordschleife?

Cheers
NRG
Now you're cookin'!
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Wide angle lense, fish eye?

Post by bulls23 »

I use the Olloclip on the Nordschleife and it hasn't ever gone off my iPhone 5
NRGDEAD
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by NRGDEAD »

That one seems a bit over budget, but maybe it's worth it. Do you have some footage of you with the Olloclip on the Nordschleife on Youtube or something? :-)
Now you're cookin'!
Dubbedown
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Dubbedown »

Honestly the front facing non-wide angle isn't that bad. Here's a comparison of GoPro 3 using a narrow or medium angle (don't recall but definitely not wide) and front facing camera from iPhone 5. GoPro is clearly better but the front facing off the iPhone still gets the job done, and given the convenience to overlay/edit/upload all directly from the phone makes it a good all-in-one setup.

GoPro 1080p 30fps
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6XXtHnXp3w[/youtube]

Same event/track last year, but recorded with iPhone in 720p (front facing camera):
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU305YZZuZA[/youtube]

I have a fish eye and wide angle attachment I bought for photos, not videos and I was not impressed with the quality.
NRGDEAD
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by NRGDEAD »

I am actually thinking more about the Multicams used for inside shots. As you can see in the video, the fixed one covers either both our heads or the steering wheel, not both. and the handheld one is naturally very shaky, wich would be less intense with a wide angle lens on.

Also - if some other conditions are met - I might buy a GoPro and use that for the front view, and have three iPhones for rear view, pilots and handheld or something.

Oh boy, I wish I could have my own film crew on the track for that stuff. But I'm drifting off here. (Pun intended).
Now you're cookin'!
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by bulls23 »

Here's one of my last laps this year on the Nordschleife. Sorry for the rattling sound, something was wrong with my iPhone. Video was recorded with the Olloclip.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNrvZ0hfYgg[/youtube]
xps911
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by xps911 »