Using external videos to overlay

Discussion related to external cam aka action cams and lenses
gt4herb
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: Using external videos to overlay

Post by gt4herb »

I recorded a recent track event with Harry's Lap Timer using a GoPro Hero 5. The GoPro saves the file as an MP4. I have tried everything to get the file on my iPhone 8 Plus with no success. Actually, iTunes shows the files on my phone but I cannot open them under videos or movies. I also converted them to MOV with similar results. Any procedure to get them to work on the iPhone so I can do a video overlay with Harry's Lap Timer?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Please make sure you transfer the video to the Photo app, not the Video/TV app. The later is "closed" for 3rd party access. You can find the details on this in Video Documentation available from www.gps-laptimer.de/documentation. The best option available is Apple's SD card Lightning adapter by the way. No need for iTunes and syncing using this accessory.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
cobbyboy
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by cobbyboy »

Harry, you may or may not be aware ITunes no longer displays a device's apps during sync. I have the lightning adapter but I have no idea how to determine which GoPro videos might correspond to Laptimer videos. Looking directly at the GoPro, I can see session recordings that correspond in time and length to those in HLT, but those videos are broken into segments when I try to import them from the camera's SD card. I have spent the better part of the last two days trying to match up videos from HLT and the GoPro. I appreciate the patience and helpfulness you have shown in the past, but is there any chance you could demonstrate how to do this at a slower pace with more up to date detail than is out there on your existing videos, all of which I have already seen many times. I know you are extremely busy, and any additional guidance you can provide will be great appreciated. Many thanks.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

GoPro cams break up videos beyond 4 GB into smaller chunks. LapTimer can use the first chunk directly (as outlined in Video Documentation - www.gps-laptimer.de/documentation). This will limit the overlay range to the first laps of the session.

To get overlays for the later chunks / laps, there are two options: #1 join the chunks on a PC from up. Handbrake / ffmpeg is one free option to do this - but there are many others. Afterwards, LapTimer can associate the joined video to the full session. #2 assign outer chunks to outer laps manually.

From my point of view, #2 can be cumbersome because you need to find the correct video for a lap and set the sync point manually. The step to achieve this are documented in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXjVb8nWCXI. I recommend to view chunks front up and understand the first full lap's time (all video viewers have some cursor showing the time from start). This will allow you to understand the range of laps in LapTimer's Lap List.

A workaround you may consider too is reducing video size by choosing a lower resolution. This certainly may reduce recording quality and will not work for very long session.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
cobbyboy
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by cobbyboy »

Harry wrote:GoPro cams break up videos beyond 4 GB into smaller chunks. LapTimer can use the first chunk directly (as outlined in Video Documentation - http://www.gps-laptimer.de/documentation). This will limit the overlay range to the first laps of the session.

To get overlays for the later chunks / laps, there are two options: #1 join the chunks on a PC from up. Handbrake / ffmpeg is one free option to do this - but there are many others. Afterwards, LapTimer can associate the joined video to the full session. #2 assign outer chunks to outer laps manually.

From my point of view, #2 can be cumbersome because you need to find the correct video for a lap and set the sync point manually. The step to achieve this are documented in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXjVb8nWCXI. I recommend to view chunks front up and understand the first full lap's time (all video viewers have some cursor showing the time from start). This will allow you to understand the range of laps in LapTimer's Lap List.

A workaround you may consider too is reducing video size by choosing a lower resolution. This certainly may reduce recording quality and will not work for very long session.

- Harry
Harry, Many thanks. I will see what I can do along these lines. Best, Jim