Ram Mount Stability

Discussions related to iPhone and camera mounts
tulloch
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Ram Mount Stability

Post by tulloch »

Harry wrote:iOS6 API says the video recording function (the one a programmer uses) has video stabilization turned off now by default. It is well possible Apple's iOS6 Video app turns it on thus making it behaving like in iOS5 however. Any 3rd party app featuring video recording (and released for iOS6) will come with stabilization turned off by default now. In case this is generating trouble they will be updated over time however (like LapTimer :-) ). You can easily check if you see a difference by recording a short video using LapTimer and one using Apple's video app.

- Harry
Recorded some video yesterday and you can see a difference in stability as you suggested. Also noticed a difference in the bitrates reported by Media player. The video shot with the iPhone app shows 17025 Kbps but the HLT one shows 25698. Curious.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

This simply means bitrate is reduced for the Video app recorded footage (compared to LT). Setting the bitrate is something an app can do - it influences the level of compression applied and needs to be a reasonable value for update rate and resolution.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Henry_Au
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Henry_Au »

Just found out the RAM mount RAM-B-166U come in 3 different sizes in Australia
6-9 and 15 cm. the 6 cm is best suited for the lap timer right?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The recommended version is the one with standard arm length (6.75'') and ID RAM-B-166U. There is a shorter and a longer version (RAM-B-166U-C) available. The shorter will not allow a free view for the cam (suction cup) for most wind screens and the longer only simply adds additional vibrations.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

Henry_Au,
Harry wrote:The recommended version is the one with standard arm length (6.75'') and ID RAM-B-166U. There is a shorter and a longer version (RAM-B-166U-C) available. The shorter will not allow a free view for the cam (suction cup) for most wind screens and the longer only simply adds additional vibrations.

- Harry
That's too long. The 1" ball arm dimensions are indeed 6, 9 and 15cm (2.38", 3.69" and 6"). The 9 cm arm is probably the one you want. The 6cm arm can be used if your windshield has sufficient rake. The arms don't cost much. I would order both the 6 and 9cm arms. If you can use the 6cm arm without the suction cup in the camera field of view, it will be a little more rigid.

You might also want to look at the RAM RAP-B-104-224U-QU1. That has a single swivel arm, which seems more rigid to me than the double ball mount.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The lengths are those given on their site. It is probably the length including cup and everything.

Take care when using the one linked last, it seems to be a composite version, not aluminum.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
ysuysu
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by ysuysu »

Gents, I've tried to post a new thread but it just seems to have disappeared as soon as I hit submit.
I'm now trying to post it here, maybe I'll be luckier.

I'm looking to get an arm & cradle, now the recommended two it seems are not strictly compatible:
http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-166U
http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-HOL-UN7BU

I've asked RAM, and they said they are sortof compatible, but there's an extra - unnecessary - piece, the diamond ending.

They recommended me the RAM-B-166-UN7U.

But I'm wondering if those are the same parts or not. It seems Sadly their site is very vague on information about the part numbers.
Anyone has tried this or knows anything about it? Price-wise it seems about right.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

First post requires an extra approval to work around spammers. That's the reason neither the thread nor your post appeared immediately.

I can't say if the UN7U is made up from the same components. Oddly, even the new 166U description misses information if the arm is made from aluminium or some composite. The former is what is recommended and something you should ask RAM for when ordering the UN7U.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
ysuysu
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by ysuysu »

ah, ok :)
I'll ask Ram. The package otherwise looks like a very good option.

Thanks for your speedy response!
ysuysu
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by ysuysu »

Well, I've asked them and they said the RAM-B-166-UN7U is made of the same parts, namely these:

RAM-B-224-1U
RAM-HOL-UN7BU
RAM-B-201U

So it is the perfect - even cheaper - part :) I'm off to buy.