Ram Mount Stability

Discussions related to iPhone and camera mounts
tulloch
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Ram Mount Stability

Post by tulloch »

As the Ram mount system is recommended I took the plunge and purchased one but I am disappointed with the stability. I didn't even need to see the video, it was jumping about so much in the car I knew the output would be poor. I've attached an image of the mount. Have I went for the wrong type? I can't believe that everyone using these is getting results like this. (I'm uploading a sample but it will take some time and I'll post a link when it's ready). Below is a link to a photo of the mount. Focus is not great, sorry about that. (Can't get the img tag to work, just displays a red cross)

http://flic.kr/p/djvF8W
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ram Mount Stability

Post by Harry »

That's not the one recommended, you definitively need to go for the aluminum ones (check the link on www.gps-laptimer.de/Compatibility.html). The composite ones are not stable enough - especially if you select one with a long level.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
tulloch
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by tulloch »

The arm is aluminium (RAM-B-201-C), the only difference seems to be the sucker mount which in the recommended one is RAP-224-1, but that is of composite construction, not aluminium, as is the one I have which is RAP-B-224-2.

As I still have the sucker base in the video frame with the long arm (sample is still uploading) I don't think I could go to a shorter arm as there would be more of the mount in the frame.

Edit: I'm happy to get the other sucker type if it will make that much difference.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

You are right, the arm is the same. I have the linked suction cup however - which is a lot bigger (but partially from composite too) compared to your cup. Furthermore I use an iPhone4 specific cradle, yours seems to be a versatile one (the iPhone5 counter parts are not yet available).

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
tulloch
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by tulloch »

Thanks, I'll get one of these. What cradle do you use? I intend to get one with a tripod mount when available.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Cradle: RAM-HOL-AP9U (or RAM-HOL-AP11U for the iPhone5). Plus RAM-B-166U as discussed.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
tulloch
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by tulloch »

Thanks.
tulloch
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by tulloch »

Had to give up on the video upload from home. Done now, two minutes from work. http://youtu.be/Q4QAfWxpK4g
I'd appreciate if you could have a look at it and tell me if I should be getting better stability than that displayed in this video. If so it must be down to the suction mount.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

That's actually difficult to say... At a first glance, yes, that is not as good as what I see with my mount. But we need to keep in mind iOS6 has moved away image stabilization as a default. So (at least if you run iOS6), this might be both missing image stabilization AND the mount. I'm currently in the process of adding an option to turn it on again.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
tulloch
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by tulloch »

As you saw it is an iPhone 5 so stabilisation will be off. But as I said before I can see the mount "bouncing" as I drive so I knew the video would be poor. Do you see yours moving much as you drive?

Edited to add: Perhaps a shorter arm would help as well. Do you use a shorter one? At the moment I can't see how I could arrange it to keep the mount out of the frame. Would you mind posting an image of how yours is set up, when it is convenient? Thanks.