Ram Mount Stability

Discussions related to iPhone and camera mounts
tulloch
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Ram Mount Stability

Post by tulloch »

Is video stabilisation definitely off? Apple are boasting about the improved stabilisation on their site and I can't find any reference to it being off anywhere.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

iOS6 API says the video recording function (the one a programmer uses) has video stabilization turned off now by default. It is well possible Apple's iOS6 Video app turns it on thus making it behaving like in iOS5 however. Any 3rd party app featuring video recording (and released for iOS6) will come with stabilization turned off by default now. In case this is generating trouble they will be updated over time however (like LapTimer :-) ). You can easily check if you see a difference by recording a short video using LapTimer and one using Apple's video app.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

This is how my RAM mount is installed. Pretty much top down instead of horizontally. You may test something similar.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
tulloch
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by tulloch »

Many thanks for that. I'll do some testing as you suggest, that makes perfect sense. Looks like I'll need a shorter arm as well.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi again,

It seems your mount's arm is indeed a bit longer (plus the different suction cup). I assume it is not the article # linked on my Compatibility page? Please let me know - I need to correct that otherwise.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
tulloch
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by tulloch »

It's RAM-B-201-C, the long arm. They come in three sizes, I assume the one in your car is the standard size, RAM-B-201, overall length 3.69"?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Well, this one: http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResults/ ... fault.aspx (check the components tab)
Image Image Image Image
tulloch
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by tulloch »

Yes that's the standard one. Do you know if the U.S site ships to Europe with reasonable P&P?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

No idea, but I believe there are distributors in Europe you can get any of the articles. I received mine using a different channel so I cant help on this.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
tulloch
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by tulloch »

Got the new suction mount today and can confirm that this is where the problem was. RAP-B-224-2 is not suitable for this application. It has to be RAP-224-1.
Didn't even need to record video, just stuck them to a door and the difference in stability was obvious.