GoPro mount adaptation

Discussions related to iPhone and camera mounts
pazt2prezent
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

GoPro mount adaptation

Post by pazt2prezent »

Harry, first of all, a phenomenal app set! Have OMP belts in my car and had used the OMP app not realizing that LapTimer Pro had video capability until just recently. Now I've made the switch and how beautiful it is to overlay the video so easily inside the app! As a GoPro user with several mounts in the car including at the roll cage, wanted to share a relatively inexpensive solution (sure this has been done before, but didn't see on the forum) for the iPhone where it isn't going anywhere...now worries about suction cups, etc. Plus, frees up the GoPro to use for fun video elsewhere like pedal work, etc. that can be edited into the video in picture in picture.

It's a simple as "reversing" the GoPro extensions midway through your mount (see attached picts). This allows a securement plate (or correct orientation for the cage) on both ends. The key is .8 x 30 mm machine screw and extra nut purchased at your local hardware store for ~$1 that fits the GoPro dimensions so you can do a "3 to 3 mate" midway instead of GoPro's typical "3 to 2." If you don't have enough mounting gear from your original camera, you can buy a "grab bag" for ~$20. In my set up I also use an additional dedicated InCase iPhone slider case for ~$30.

Depending on your cage or where you want you want to position on your dash, you can configure differently with the various GoPro arms. Mine comes up off the cage vertically, then with a 90 degree turn, back to the adhesive plate on the case to push it back a bit further just over my shoulder. This allows a wide enough view so I can at least see my right hand on the wheel and nice view of the track. Driver's will definitely want to play around with some double sided tape at low speed first before securing for good to find their desired view...once the GoPro adhesive is down, would be a lot of work to get off and spare your case. Also, if drivers have a dedicated iPhone/iTouch for the purpose that they're willing to directly mount the plate to, the olloclip is a cool addition to the iPhone camera that includes a wide angle lens adapter.

One trick I've had to use in my car where space is tight: the camera is facing forward and is located behind you, which means you can't see your touch screen! No worries once you've set up for the first time thanks to your autostart recording...but, I do have to use my inspection mirror out of my toolbag to be able to see the screen as I sneak my hand around to hit the button to confirm the reorientation once it's mounted and ready to go before I hit the track.

When driving on the street, I just switch one finger tension screw in the GoPro mount and secure to a different mount plate on the dash to use the speedo with screen facing me.

Finally, I use a mophie juice pack powerstation ($80) which I've secured in the glovebox with industrial velcro. It's got plenty of power to run the phone for hours with full time GPS without the need to run any wires anywhere near where you're shifting, etc. to a console power adapter...everything is well out the way behind the driver.

Thanks again for all of your hard work on the app and I hope this helps. My Emprum will be here this week and next time I'm out, I will submit my local track - the FIRM (http://www.gorally.com) for the database. Thanks again!, Jeremy
Attachments
mount-on-stand.jpg
mount-on-stand.jpg (130.97 KiB) Viewed 9959 times
mount-on-cage.jpg
mount-on-cage.jpg (136.76 KiB) Viewed 9959 times
Last edited by pazt2prezent on Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dubbedown
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: GoPro mount adaptation

Post by Dubbedown »

That looks really good, unfortunately I feel like my local clubs are more anal when it comes to tech inspectino and that would never pass.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

GoPro mount adaptation

Post by Harry »

Thanks Jeremy, for sharing this solution!

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
CivicSiRacer
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by CivicSiRacer »

Oh that is an awesome idea!
xps911
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by xps911 »

can you post the exact bits you bought as im confused. I already have a wide angle case just the go pro bits im confused about which to purchsae
thanks
pazt2prezent
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by pazt2prezent »

From above: "the key is .8 x 30 mm machine screw and extra nut purchased at your local hardware store for ~$1." This is the size that fits the GoPro "holes." Hope this helps!
xps911
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by xps911 »

Mine didnt come with those long adapters you have?
Attachments
go-pro.JPG
go-pro.JPG (108.54 KiB) Viewed 8847 times
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

If you just by the base model, it doesn't come with much. The various adapters are an extra cost option. See GoPro Grab Bag of Mounts.
pazt2prezent
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by pazt2prezent »

Yep, need the grab bag for the extra parts...costs about $20. Have fun!
xps911
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by xps911 »

ah thank you