Where to mount in the race car?

Discussions related to iPhone and camera mounts
Spinnetti
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Where to mount in the race car?

Post by Spinnetti »

Hi all.. where's the best place to mount? I've got a roll cage behind me and a dash bar in front of me... On the main hoop?

What do you use to mount the iPhone to the roll cage? Looking for a simple cheap solution....

thanks..
hms
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Where to mount in the race car?

Post by hms »

I prefer to mount on the roll cage so you can see the wheel inputs from the driver, adds an edge to the video.
I have bought one of these for modification:
http://www.r-p-r.co.uk/kestrel/tripod_clamp.htm
to be mounted on a manfrotto superclamp.
h
Black S Special goes by the name of Lexie.
JRSC M45, 189.6 bhp JR ARB's, TDR belt tensioner, Steve Heath Rose jointed drop links, Absolutely Shocks GAZ springs and dampers, Alignment by WIM

Spinnetti
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Spinnetti »

hms wrote:I prefer to mount on the roll cage so you can see the wheel inputs from the driver, adds an edge to the video.
I have bought one of these for modification:
http://www.r-p-r.co.uk/kestrel/tripod_clamp.htm
to be mounted on a manfrotto superclamp.
h
Thanks... I was too quick on my ordering fingers and spent $40 US squid before I caught your reply that cost $12 here... oh well...
hms
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by hms »

Still have to prove mine though!
Not tried it on track yet.
h
Black S Special goes by the name of Lexie.
JRSC M45, 189.6 bhp JR ARB's, TDR belt tensioner, Steve Heath Rose jointed drop links, Absolutely Shocks GAZ springs and dampers, Alignment by WIM

E30m3mon
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by E30m3mon »

I bought the Makayama ipad camera mount and attached it to my roll cage's harness bar via the i/o port camera bracket. Makayama's mount has a standard 1/4" threaded hole that receive's the i/o port screw quite nicely. I also added a .45x lens on the Makayama fixture, which gives an excellent panorama view, just behind the passenger seat. No issues with vibration. The auto- trigger is handy as I cannot access the ipad from the driver's seat.
Spinnetti
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Spinnetti »

Well, I used mine for the first time in a real race (about 15 hrs)... I used the "Ram mount" on my roll cage and was VERY impressed with the video quality. There was little to no camera shake and it worked great. If you google "spinnetti" you can see a couple laps from inside my Lexus LS400 race car at Gingerman Raceway in Michigan (USA). I only shot at 640x480 to save space, and found that for my use, that was plenty.