New Alternative Mounting Solution for Phone

Discussions related to iPhone and camera mounts
llan981
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

New Alternative Mounting Solution for Phone

Post by llan981 »

Instead of using the RAM Mount RAM-B-166U Suction Cup that periodically may block the camera lens or falls off the windscreen when the weather is cold, here is an alternative approach:

I now use a GOPRO mount that sticks to the windscreen and is rock solid and very stable. I then attach a Ram GoPro mount with 1" ball and attach it to the gopro mount. Then the rest of the set up is the same as using the RAM-B-166U.

Look at the picture. Plus with the go pro mount I always pass tech.

If you want to remove the gopro mount from the windscreen, then a simple use of a 1" putty knife scraper will do the job. I just leave mind on as it is non intrusive.
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (45.64 KiB) Viewed 6134 times
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: New Alternative Mounting Solution for Phone

Post by bulls23 »

...or you get yourself one of these:
http://www.rammount.com/part/RAP-B-378U
llan981
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by llan981 »

Good alternative but I prefer the smaller size of a go pro mount. It helps avoid the situation when the larger diameter suction cup blocks a portion of the video. This virtually solved that issue. Also with go pro mount, it give me an extra pivot point.
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

More degrees of pivot freedom means higher potential for vibration. That's also why I use a cradle rather than an X-mount. It's too easy to rotate an X-mount and lose accelerometer calibration. The Ram flexible adhesive mount is too flexible, in my opinion. I put one on the car and never use it. I'm going to scrape it off and replace it with a GoPro glue on mount.
llan981
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by llan981 »

It's very true, the goal is least amount of vibration. Since I have the go pro mount, I will try the cradle too.