Mount for formula style car

Discussions related to iPhone and camera mounts
zookie
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Mount for formula style car

Post by zookie »

Looking to use HLT on my iPhone 6 on a Formula 600 car. Problem is there is no windshield,etc. I'd like to mount the phone where I can see the screen for lap times and where the camera can see the road for video.

Thought about Ram mount suction but at 140+mph that probably is not secure enough. I have a Vbox Sport for GPS which will be mounted on the roll bar but having trouble coming up with where to mount the phone. Course I'm renting the car so can't really figure this out very well. Hoping one of you already has.
zookie
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Re: Mount for formula style car

Post by zookie »

While the original question will likely still have merit for others, I just learned how HLT GP Edition can use a GoPro over WiFi for video. So, I no longer need the iPhone camera to have view of the road but I do still need to come up with a mounting option to use HLT on the iPhone as a lap timer that I can see in the fairly constrained cockpit of these cars. At least it won't be getting blasted with high winds this way. Appreciate any ideas!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi,

You may contact these guys for their experience: https://www.facebook.com/HarrysLapTimer ... =1&theater

I have seen some drivers attaching the device to the center of the steering wheel. You need to add some kind of case (maybe one of the silicon ones) to not scratch the device. Adding the iPhone to the wheel gives you a good view, but will void acceleration values. You need to calculate them from GPS in this scenario.

In case you plan to add a suction cup mount in front of the cockpit, take care to use some protection line and add some tape in addition.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

As far as I know, most, if not all, sanctioning bodies don't allow suction cup mounts for racing. If you're going to calculate acceleration from GPS, you need, in my opinion, at least a 10Hz external GPS, which means something else to mount.
zookie
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by zookie »

Harry, thank you for being so active in your community. I reached out to the Leeds team but Richard (the person who setup that car back in 2012) is no longer a student so I'm trying to track him down. Anyone ever just strap a phone to their forearm somehow? Thanks for the tip about using the GPS for acceleration.

gplracerx, I agree, the SCCA is not going to allow the suction cup mount. I do have the Vbox Sport, as I listed, which is a 20Hz external GPS. It will be mounted on the roll hoop via secured bracket. It seems to work great on my street tests so I hope it works well at the track.
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

Somehow I read GoPro instead of VBox Sport. Be careful about smoothing when calculating acceleration. It's really easy to over smooth and lose information. The yaw rate graph, for example, is over smoothed, in my opinion, resulting in peaks that are too low and a baseline shift ( viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1745 ).
rscliofan
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by rscliofan »

Ram do a mount you can attach to a cage/roll bar etc