Windshield Mounts

Discussions related to iPhone and camera mounts
mor734
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Windshield Mounts

Post by mor734 »

Does anyone have a good recommendation for an iPhone (3gs) windshield mount that will work with Harry's Lap Timer Pro?
CivicSiRacer
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Re: Windshield Mounts

Post by CivicSiRacer »

I got this 1st and it's very solid. I can pull my Civic with the mount across my garage :) Comes with two mounts. One that is a quick release which I use when I'm going around town. And the 2nd one is a slide your phone into the clip type.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002K9IPOC

Then I got the TomTom GPS mount for my iPhone 3GS for autocrossing and so far so good.
Chad-1stgen
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Chad-1stgen »

Any other suggestions?

With the TomTom support dropping off (even if temporary) and how much the mount shook I'm looking at the Emprum UltiMate so I'd need a new mounting system for video. I was very disapointed with the TomTom mount beeing way to shaky so hoping someone with experience can post up a more solid mount.

Thanks
hms
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by hms »

If you are in the UK, I presume not with the Pro-touring 68 Camaro in the sig block, but this mount is available from Maplins for £9.99.
Not too keen on it as it is not a flexible in positioning as I expected.
Harry somewhere on the forum recommends (or at least I think he recommends!) the Luxa2 H5 aluminium smartphone holder. A bit more expensive, OK a big bit more expensive at £32.95! from Amazon. I have one on the way.
h
Black S Special goes by the name of Lexie.
JRSC M45, 189.6 bhp JR ARB's, TDR belt tensioner, Steve Heath Rose jointed drop links, Absolutely Shocks GAZ springs and dampers, Alignment by WIM

Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I have the Luxa myself. Being pretty impressed in the beginning, it has problems with vibrations too. As it is very flexible, I both attach it to the windscreen and let it 'sit' on the dashboard. This one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT96c3PH ... ideo_title) has been recorded using this construction, and it has not too much vibrations. Especially for those focussed on style and quality, it is a recommendation. However, as stated above, vibration is a problem in case you have it mounted to the windscreen only.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
csmarx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by csmarx »

I've had very good luck using this mount with the Emprum. It's bendable but very solid. I did have to stick in a couple of pieces of thin foam to keep the phone solidly in the grip. I.e. foam that pushes on the back of the phone when in the mount. It's quite easy to rotate the phone in the mount. It's inexpensive too, so worth a try.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0044AVKCE

-Christian
tdott
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by tdott »

I have this one for my iPhone 4.

What you are looking for is something short / solid, without any of the flexible stuff. You also want one that is made for your phone and is not universal as those don't clamp onto the phone enough to hold it in place.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004BDN964

Here is a video to show how it worked.
http://youtu.be/Py1f4Q8hwD4
CivicSiRacer
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by CivicSiRacer »

This is a moot point now that TomTom is being dropped but I used my TomTom during autocross runs with very good results. No shaking on mine. I purchased a longer USB cable to route around my glove box and up the A pillar and around the mirror to keep it out of the way.
swbca3691
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by swbca3691 »

I found this Logitech setup to be very solid. You may wonder about a magnetic mount but I am pretty sure it would require a violent crash to separate the phone from the mount.

Benefits:
The mount is 100% rigid so there is no image vibration added by flex in the mount.

Using the phone for video makes them run hot, so you can't have the phone in direct sun all day. I placed a 20% transmission tint film above the phone (it doesn't look that dense in the first photo because the photo brightened the dark tint) I Bought a large sheet of window-tint on ebay for 8.00. See YouTube videos on installing tint film.

The camera is mounted high, getting a good perspective of the track so you can see around the corners in track, like you should when driving.

The camera is never in your line of sight of anything except the sky.

When not at the track, my phone was usually on the passenger seat or a cup holder. This magnetic mount isn't a bad place to put your phone for daily use and it can be placed vertically or horizontally.

This image shows the density of the window-tint film

Installation notes:

The Logitech metal plate for the back of the phone works OK, but a larger adhesive plate for the back of the phone provides more resistance to rotation.
There are vendors on ebay that have larger adhesive plates. I paid 8 dollars for 2 larger rectangles.

The photo shows the Suction mount near the bottom edge of the interior window tint. If the camera was higher the tint would be in the video.

Don't use a case on your phone. As many have noted heat is a problem, particularly for iPhones.

The mount is expensive at $50 at Best Buy or Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Drive-On ... hone+mount
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Thanks for posting. I have ordered one and will check it too. It seems it is the first time an accessory is less expensive in Europe compared to the U.S. (where electronic gadgets cost around 20 percent less usually).

Harry
Image Image Image Image