Ipod Touch 3rd gen & TomTom mount

Discussions related to iPhone and camera mounts
nissanite
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Ipod Touch 3rd gen & TomTom mount

Post by nissanite »

I just downloaded your Laptimer. I am very excited to get started. I have an Ipod 3rd gen & want to purchase the TomTom mount kit. The mount does not say that it will work with the Ipod. Will it work & if it does, besides the phone, what else will I not have?

I am in the USA. I found on listed on the web for the UK market.

An Iphone is in the future but I need to wait out a contract.

We looked at other Lap timer type products but went with Harry's because of the support forum.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ipod Touch 3rd gen & TomTom mount

Post by Harry »

That's interesting, the German Apple Store shows compatibility with 3rd gen too (most probably you simply need to add a spacer like that for the iPhone4 with one of the early TomTom car kits for iPhone). Another observation is that the car kit for iPod is down in price and not listed on TomTom's home page any more. Here in Germany it is available for 27€ which is down by 60% of the original price. Seems like it will not be available soon...

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
vorpal
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by vorpal »

The Ipod cradle kits are being discontinued by Tom Tom for the 1-3 gen. They are marked down 40% here in Canada at Best Buy... I saw one on the shelf final clearance for $ 70.00 when I bought my iPhone cradle. It says that they don't work for the 4th gen, so I tried the iPhone 4 cradle, which didn't work for my iPod touch 4th gen. either.

I'd check your local Best Buy for a third gen Tom Tom cradle, I can get you one here if you need it.

Rob Kiddell
Edmonton, Canada
nissanite
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by nissanite »

Thanks for the responses.

TomTom customer service told me last week the unit for the iphone would work. I bought one and found it is not even close.
I called them again & got more info. The ipod touch mount will work with 1st, 2nd and 3rd gen ipod touch. They do not make it anymore.
There are some still available from ebay & other online sources. If some one is considering this option buy one now.

I have one on order & will update again.
nicbell
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by nicbell »

Yes, they really are discontinued already though for some retail outlets, they are still available but those are from the original release and would probably have less service support should you need it.

I have tried the one for the iphone 4 and just added a foam patch to let it settle perfectly. One for the back and one for the front panel so that it would not leave marks on the unit.