Elm327 WiFi setup w/iPhone 4s

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
gandalf
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Elm327 WiFi setup w/iPhone 4s

Post by gandalf »

Hey guys - having trouble locating setup info for one of the generic Elm327 WiFi devices on my iPhone 4s. iPhone happily detects the WiFi "network" and connects. Beyond that - I cannot get the sensors to appear in HLT. Any setup instructions somewhere? Thanks.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Elm327 WiFi setup w/iPhone 4s

Post by Harry »

These generic wifi's will use IP and port addresses like the branded ones. So typically, you do not need to adjust something within LapTimer. Can you please show your IP configuration first / post a snapshot: Settings app -> Wi-Fi -> press blue arrow of connected network.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
gandalf
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by gandalf »

Thanks Harry. I wasn't sure what those IP's and port numbers were. For anyone else reading this: It runs as a host on 192.168.0.10 address so I had to put in a static IP of 192.168.0.11 in my phone. Once that WiFi connection was made, the sensors appeared in HLT and the rpm overlay appeared in the video (as Harry suggested - without adjustments). Waiting on my GoPoint BT to make things easier (keeping my iPhone charged).
CJWessing
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by CJWessing »

Hey guys,

I just bought this ELM32 WiFi ODBII reader off amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AOIM2CC/ref ... 1_ST1_dp_1

My iPhone 5 connects to it using DHCP and defaults to an IP of 192.168.0.11, and the ODB displays show up in HLT's video screen, but do not show the throttle response or RPM data, just sits reading 0. I also tried changing the static IP address to 192.168.0.11 and was able to get the iPhone and HLT to recognize the ODBII reader, but again the displays just registered 0. When I check the device status in HLT, it says the IP address is 192.168.0.10. Is there any way to change the HLT IP address to 192.168.0.11?

Any other ideas on what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks!
Chris
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Firstly I need to mention this is one of the cheap Chinese copies of the ELM327, not a genuine ELM327 based devices. Please read my http://www.gps-laptimer.de/Compatibility.html on compatible devices (and my remarks on this kind of copies ;-) ).

As you receive OBD gauges already, the problem is the devices are connected, but do not communicate. Please check the OBD sensor status in Sensor List and let me know what you see. In case it is "Connected" with no update rate added, the above assumption is correct. In this case, please press the row and read out the PIDs answered / not answered. Next search the forum for "Debugging OBD Sensors", "Problem cars", and "Excluding PIDs". Please understand I cannot give further individual support for unsupported devices.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
CJWessing
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by CJWessing »

Hooked it up again tonight on DHCP mode, defaults to 192.168.0.11 ip address and seems to connect, but data does not update. Here are some screenshots.

Thanks!
Chris
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I assume the request for available mode 1 PIDs is not answered correctly - which mean the dongle will not work with LapTimer.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
CJWessing
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by CJWessing »

I figured, ordered a GoPoint BT1 last night.
ralniv
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by ralniv »

Odd, I have the same exact cheap Chinese knock-off and it works reasonably well in HLT. I have an iPhone 5S and I connected using the default DHCP settings (i.e. I did not hard code the IP address, etc.). My car is from the same parent company, but a few rungs lower in the VAG hierarchy (2013 Audi S4).
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

For your information: all LapTimer v18 app editions will come with an improved initialization sequence that fixes many of the issues that occur during startup. The issue referenced is it took some OBD dongles too long to negotiate the protocol used to access the car's bus. In turn, the request for available PIDs timed out and resulted in the above issues. LapTimer v18 will force this negotiation ahead of asking for the first PID. The Android Rookie version 17.8.4 and GPS/Buddy iOS version 17.9 (both available on the stores) include this improvement, so you can test already.

- Harry

P.S. Please do not forget to rate and comment on GPS / OBD Buddy on AppStore ;-)
Image Image Image Image