Elm327 WiFi setup w/iPhone 4s

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
Deako80
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: Elm327 WiFi setup w/iPhone 4s

Post by Deako80 »

Just got one of the cheap Chinese knock offs. SSID is CLKDevices, works faultlessly so far.

Harry, why is it that the vehicle has to be setup correctly for the rev gauge and gear indicator to work? Can these values not be obtained crude (min/max rpm & gear) instead of this?

My daily (a Yeti TDI) did work fine. But I set it up crudely. My track car is an M135i, and I've set that up correctly with the gear ratios I managed to find online.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Min / max rpms are not available on the car's bus. The current gear is on many car's busses but not standardized in OBD. This in turn means, one needs to calculate it from rations, RPM, wheel speed and size.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Deako80
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Deako80 »

Ok thanks. For some reason though, the gear ratios on my M135i Sport Auto indicate a theoretical max speed of 250mph.

Got the ratios here: http://s3.bimmerfile.com.s3.amazonaws.c ... _specs.pdf
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

This means it comes with a fuel saving last gear. As LapTimer has no idea about the aerodynamics of your car, it does not know about the effective limit your car has. The 250 mph simply mean your engine would perform the max rounds per minute in the last gear in case it *would* be good for 250 mph. For a pure track tool, you would change your car's gear box for sure ;-)

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Deako80
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Deako80 »

Ahh, it's an 8 speed, to be honest on most tracks it will barely get into 4th. Thanks, forgot it wouldn't take into effect drag. :)

If you check the ratios, you will see it's geared very short.