OBDLink WiFi dropping connection - bluetooth related

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
nigelh
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

OBDLink WiFi dropping connection - bluetooth related

Post by nigelh »

I've been trying to use an OBDLink WiFi to capture OBD data in LapTimer, and have been suffering frequent dropouts of data.

Having done some experimenting tonight, it looks as though it is caused by having bluetooth active even if it is not connected to anything. If I shut off bluetooth completely, the connection to the OBDLink becomes stable.

I realise that this means LapTimer is not at fault, but is this a common problem for the iPhone with Ad-Hoc WiFi connections & bluetooth, and are there any known fixes/workarounds?

I've been using a bluetooth GPS device to get a decent update rate, so this is a significant problem for me.

Cheers
Nigel
Eddie07S
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: OBDLink WiFi dropping connection - bluetooth related

Post by Eddie07S »

Nigel,
could you expand upon your fix for this drop-out problem? I am not sure what you mean by having the blue tooth active and which blue tooth are you shutting off? I have the GoPoint BT1 and had a lot of drop out with it but the Dual XGPS 150 worked fantastically well.
Jon
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

@Jon, have you checked with 16.0.3 again. There has been a problem (starting 16.0) not related to a specific OBD dongle or connection technology caused by the higher update rates of acceleration.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
nigelh
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by nigelh »

Jon,

I don't think your problem is the same as mine.

I have a OBDLink WiFi for OBD data. If I have bluetooth switched off on the iPhone, the WiFi connection to OBDLink is stable. If I turn the iPhone bluetooth on (even if it is not connected to anything) the WiFi connection to OBDLink becomes unstable and keeps dropping.

I don't really have a workround - it appears that I cannot use both a WiFi device and Bluetooth device at the same time.

Cheers
Nigel
tracman
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by tracman »

I am having the same problem with the OBDLink dropping off. The problem does not go away even with the blue tooth off. I have an 2013 E92 M3 Coupe. I do have an image of the Sensor, but I can not attach it to this post. How would I show the sensor details?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Please check the FAQ two items above: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1338
Whenever it is about OBD issues and BMW M3s, that's the correct address :-D
I work an a versatile workaround for the errors sent by M3s regularly. Until this is available, please exclude the PIDs generating the issues.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
tracman
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by tracman »

I installed the update from v17.06 - May 29, 2013 and tried the auto exclude PIS's and this did not fix the issue with my 2013 E92 M3. The list of PID's is still extensive.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

What do you mean by "extensive"? As long as before? Please note the changes in v17.0.6 are on PID exclusion only. LapTimer cannot fix PiDs not delivered.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
tracman
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by tracman »

I will retake the list and try to post it.