IAT/ECT with standard PIDs on FK8 Civic not displaying

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
Ralphy140
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

IAT/ECT with standard PIDs on FK8 Civic not displaying

Post by Ralphy140 »

Hi Harry,

I have done a bunch of reading and looking into this, HLT does not show the IAT and ECT on my Civic FK8, I have been on the Civicx forum and confirmed that they are both standard supported PIDs @ this link https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/su ... ids.27069/

This is the list of PIDs i see on GPS Buddy, I have also created a log file and sent it through
IMG_0782.PNG
IMG_0782.PNG (772.89 KiB) Viewed 3294 times
I have also used a different app that clearly shows data being recorded under the correct PID so i know that its sending data.
IMG_0775.PNG
IMG_0775.PNG (345.16 KiB) Viewed 3294 times
IMG_0784.PNG
IMG_0784.PNG (219.48 KiB) Viewed 3294 times
I have tried adding a custom PID in the expert settings but as you say in a different forum no point in doing that if its already the standard value

the PIDs are from wiki
67 103 3 Engine coolant temperature °C
68 104 7 Intake air temperature sensor

Any help would be awesome.

Thanks

Ralphy
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: IAT/ECT with standard PIDs on FK8 Civic not displaying

Post by Harry »

Hello,

Before LapTimer requests a certain PID, it checks with the adapter whether the PID is available. The background is, that requesting PIDs actually not available will result in long reply times. As a result, the overall update rate would go South.

Problem for your car is, that requesting mode 1 / PID 0 ("PIDs supported [01 - 20]") results in this reply:

Code: Select all

4100B63DA813\r
Which is a bit mask

Code: Select all

for mode PIDs 1-32 (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs#Service_01).

This is turn means PIDs 5 (ECT) and PID 15 (IAT) are not available.
And this is making LapTimer skip these PIDs.

It is well possible the adapter would respond to 5 and 15. This however means "PIDs supported [01 - 20]" is not working.

I'm not that deep in bus communication to understand whether this is a problem with the adapter or your car's OBD implementation. This needs to be answered by PLX.

I'd suggest to check the following one by one:
  • try a friend's OBD adapter, ideally a different model
  • wait a bit after starting the engine before you activate LapTimer
  • restart communication with the adapter after maybe 2 minutes (Administration ‣ Sensor List ‣ Refresh)
  • or, exclude calling PID 0100 in LapTimer's Expert Settings
The last item is something not fully tested. The result will be, that LapTimer assumes all PIDs are available initially. This will make it request all PIDs it knows about. A PID will be set unavailable after (I believe) 3 unanswered tries. Best case, the start up of communication will take some minutes but work afterwards. But as an unsupported use case, it may fail too.

In case none of this is working, ECT and IAT will not be available. None has a severe impact on general LapTimer operation.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Ralphy140
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Ralphy140 »

Thanks for the reply,

It looks like the car does not use the PIDs that you have mentioned above but ECT is 103(hex 67) and IAT is 104(Hex 68) for the values, so i assume making any changes for the PIDs under 30 would not impact this? They are listed as standard PIDs in the wiki page but further down the table.

Sorry if i have misunderstood the directions.

I am assuming that if this is the case making a custom PID might go some way to addressing the issue, in this case for the PID value do i enter the PID in Dec or Hex value? there seems to be no formula associated as its an absolute value returned for the PID.

Thanks
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I missed the special “standard” PIDs. You can try to access them using Custom PIDs. Mode and PID are always HEX values, digits in formulas are always decimal values. Use the same ECU address you use in general (ALL or PCM) so LapTimer does not need to switch the header (faster). The formula needs to be investigated. As the documentation says 3 and 7 byte replies, this will be some higher precision value. You can find a section on Custom PIDs in the Engine document available on http://www.gps-laptimer.de/documentation
Image Image Image Image
Ralphy140
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Ralphy140 »

I have done some more digging and found this, and is confirmed working on FK8 civics,

IAT:
PID: 0168
LONG NAME: Intake Air Temp
SHORT NAME: IAT
MIN VAL: -40
MAX VAL: 300
SCALE: x1
UNIT: °C
EQUATION: B-40

ECT:
PID: 0167
LONG NAME: Engine Coolant
SHORT NAME: ECT
MIN VAL: -40
MAX VAL: 300
SCALE: x1
UNIT: °C
EQUATION: B-40

Does this configuration look right ?
IMG_0796 copy.png
IMG_0796 copy.png (969.11 KiB) Viewed 3279 times
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The log file is (technical) human readable. But you can send it to me too. Please just add information which Custom PIDs had been set. Depending on the OBD adapter you are using, you can use some serial monitor too. Entering 0167<cr> at the prompt would request ECT and 0168<cr> IAT. Post the reply here and we can guess. :-)

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

P.S. The settings you posted look sound, does it display IAT / ECT in Engine View?
Image Image Image Image
Ralphy140
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Ralphy140 »

Just went and checked and still not showing anything up, also when I select the sensor it does not show the PIDs that I have defined. Does it matter that it has PID 60 showing and nothing after?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

It is expected behavior that mode 1 and 9 custom PIDs are not shown in Sensor Information. In case your custom PIDs do not work, you need to send a log please.
Image Image Image Image
Ralphy140
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Ralphy140 »

Just sent the log file off, I worked out how to open it as well, I was trying to use notepad++ and it didnt like the file format for some reason.