Bluetooth OBD dongle connects, but no data transmitted ...

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
schluerfi1978
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Bluetooth OBD dongle connects, but no data transmitted ...

Post by schluerfi1978 »

Hi,

I'm using the latest Laptimer Pro version with a China Bluetooth OBD dongle on a jailbroken iPhone 3GS with iOS 5.01 and roqyBT4 with OBD add-on. On my current car (BMW Z4 Coupé), I'm experiencing the following problem. The OBD dongle connects correctly in roqyBT4. When I go to Laptimer Pro's Sensors menu, I find video, internal GPS and custom OBD with the correct port and IP address settings. When I select the OBD sensor by tapping the menu entry, I get a message that some data is transmitted at certain millisecond intervall (typically some 50 to 100 ms - so in the range of some 10 Hz). However, the main entry in the Sensor's menu shows a 0.0 Hz transfer rate. Also, in the video recording screen, no OBD data like rpm or speed is displayed, even though the gauges are displayed. Any idea what is going wrong there?

I'm pretty sure that the dongle works in conjunction with the iPhone/Laptimer since I've been using it on my previous car (BMW 120d). On the Z4, I've not been successful up to now.

Best regards,
Michael
schluerfi1978
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Bluetooth OBD dongle connects, but no data transmitted .

Post by schluerfi1978 »

Sensor Information gives the following output:
Attachments
IMG_0103.PNG
IMG_0103.PNG (116.83 KiB) Viewed 5588 times
schluerfi1978
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by schluerfi1978 »

And this is what is shown in the vehicle list for the Z4. By the way, the list for the BMW120d is the same.
Attachments
IMG_0104.PNG
IMG_0104.PNG (46.65 KiB) Viewed 5588 times
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

LapTimer shows all requests it has sent to the OBD dongle here (in case there is a duration in brackets added, LapTimer got a reply too). Strictly speaking, these are not only OBD PIDs, but some control sequences too. Your pictures show that only control sequences were sent, LapTimer did not request a PID at all. This is most probably, due to some non standard behavior in replies from the dongle.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
schluerfi1978
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by schluerfi1978 »

Damn ... so this means that I should try a different dongle?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I would at least ask someone with a different dongle for some tests - or test your dongle + LT with a different car. This sometimes helps to better understand where the problem is.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
sdmideas
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by sdmideas »

Ok im having a similar problem

Iphone4s - jailbroken
roqybt4 + roqyobd4
Harry lap timer
OBDII dongle http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007SL8E9I/ref ... 1_ST1_dp_1

I am experiencing connectivity drop at seemingliny random intervals as well 0.0hz data transmission rate.

I am able to see the device in Harrys laptimer but am unable to fetch any data
landrenesen
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by landrenesen »

Got the same issue, but i'm running a Ducati 848, iPhone 5, China wifi327 (working :shock:) that's recognized as a Kiwi from Harry's Laptimer that iss a normal version upgraded to the pro, last version updated from Appstore.
Maybe there is something to "tune"? and another thing (little OT) how can i see the Rpm counter window when using it?
I'm stamping to begin to use it!
All the best to everyone.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

landrenesen wrote:Got the same issue, but i'm running a Ducati 848, iPhone 5, China wifi327 (working :shock:) that's recognized as a Kiwi from Harry's Laptimer that iss a normal version upgraded to the pro, last version updated from Appstore.
Maybe there is something to "tune"? and another thing (little OT) how can i see the Rpm counter window when using it?
I'm stamping to begin to use it!
All the best to everyone.
Nothing to tune except the wifi settings. The RPM counter comes up once OBD is connected. In the Video view, it adds the bottom right area. In some other views (Timer, GPS), some other gadgets are removed and replaced by an OBD gadget, and finally the Speedo view is replaced by a RPM gauge.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
landrenesen
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by landrenesen »

Thanks Harry, in the while maybe i've found the reason of my problem, i tell cause maybe the same for other users:
For the Ducati bikes the OBD comes via a cable that's used also for FIAT/ALFA/LANCIA cars, the OBD connector comes with 3 pin, Ducati uses 2 of it: the central is the negative, the right is the K, "data transmission".
Some OBD external cable that connect to the Dongle comes with 3 cables where the central is always the negative but the K cable is on the left, on the right there is a cable but it's a dead end.
Later i'll check and post if i'm successful.

- Alessandro