Support for GoPoint Tech BT1 OBD-II

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
Nician87
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Support for GoPoint Tech BT1 OBD-II

Post by Nician87 »

According to GoPoint Tech, they finally got their Bluetooth ODB-II device approved by Apple:

http://gopointtech.com/products/

And they are currently offering a great deal on both the cabled GL1 and wireless BT1 (check the "Buy Now" tab on the web site).

I read through the forum posts and while I see people asked about the GL1, it doesn't look like you implemented support for that cabled device, but you had communicated with them and gotten the specs.

Likewise, there haven't been any Bluetooth devices approved by Apple for use with non-jailbroke phones.

My understanding is that they use the ELM327 protocol that the supported Kiwi WLAN device uses.

Would you expect my iPhone 3GS (running iOS 3.0.1) will work with the BT1 and a Dual XGPS150 to get both OBD-II and GPS data?

Does LapTimer Pro require a newer iOS version?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Support for GoPoint Tech BT1 OBD-II

Post by Harry »

Yes, that seems so be the first BT OBD available certified. I ordered one and will try to integrate it. Please note this is no ELM327 compatible device and requires quite some effort to support. Need to see how fast I receive it from the US, but expect some time to pass until I can add it to my Compatibilty list ;-)

Apple's BT stack supports more than one device connected at the same time. So chances are good to have both GPS and OBD BT connected at the same time.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
Bestlap
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Bestlap »

What's the name of the communication scheme used by the GL1 / BT1 ?
Is it a proprietary one or do we find it in other brands / devices ?

Thanks !
Spinnetti
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Spinnetti »

Any update or alternative recommendations?

I'd like wireless supported ODB-II - don't care if wifi or BT, but cost is important of course... this one looks like a great price.... Anything else wireless that you already support at such a low price?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Wifi Solutions are more expensive in general. There is no wifi dongle that comes near the BT prices. But BT needs to go through certification...

Hrald
Image Image Image Image
fluppie00
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by fluppie00 »

Harry wrote:Yes, that seems so be the first BT OBD available certified. I ordered one and will try to integrate it. Please note this is no ELM327 compatible device and requires quite some effort to support. Need to see how fast I receive it from the US, but expect some time to pass until I can add it to my Compatibilty list ;-)

Apple's BT stack supports more than one device connected at the same time. So chances are good to have both GPS and OBD BT connected at the same time.

Harry
I followed Harry and ordered one too :D. For $60 dollar it's worth the risk :lol: ! I also got a Kiwi Wifi myself.
jnoyes
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by jnoyes »

Harry, I have both the BT-1 and the XGPS 150 (and iPhone 4s). If there is anything I can do to help out with testing, please let me know.

Jeff
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Thanks, will see if I run a beta test / external test program. Appreciate your (and fluppie's) offer :-)

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
F-Stop Junkie
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by F-Stop Junkie »

I've also ordered one, so would be happy to help test!

Harry, what's the bluetooth overhead like compared to WLAN? Will it have a similar impact to the polling speed of the OBD updates? Do you think the GoPoint cable could be a more efficient soluition, or does IOS put enough problems in the way to make it difficult for Lap Timer to use?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi,

I cannot really comment on ad hoc wifi vs. BT but it will have a similar latency from my PoV. Cable will always be faster... You need to keep in mind that the main time is used on the car's bus. So if you have an older car, I'd suggest to not start optimizing on the connection side. For new cars generating more then 10Hz update rate in LT, this will probably add 1 or 2 Hz.

Please note I have not started adding gopoint integration, I'm still waiting for my dongle. Once the integration is done, both the GL1 and BT1 will be supported.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image