Custom PID help

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
jamcgowen
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Custom PID help

Post by jamcgowen »

[Moved to Accessories / OBD forums]

Sorry in advanced if this is not the right place for this post. I was hoping someone could help me figure out what im missing or getting wrong in setting up a custom pid. I am tryin to program a pid to display my car's (e46 m3) oil temp. So this is what i have so far...

Channel: Oil
ECU: EOT *idk if thats right*
Mode: Mode 1
PID: 5C92... or is it 0x1 0x5c?
Request Frequency: Low
Formula: ?

this is where i got the information for the Mode and PID:
https://www.outilsobdfacile.com/obd-mode-pid.php
https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1106967
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Custom PID help

Post by Harry »

Instructions on Custom PIDs are available here: http://www.gps-laptimer.com/LapTimerDoc ... rogram.pdf

Please note we cannot help on individual / car specific codes. In case you have the complete information available, we will certainly help to specify it in LapTimer and trouble shoot if necessary.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
tdott
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by tdott »

Unfortunately I'm not sure who this custom PID feature will be helpful to, I have not come across any information other than PID values which is not enough to get this working.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

tdott wrote:Unfortunately I'm not sure who this custom PID feature will be helpful to, I have not come across any information other than PID values which is not enough to get this working.
Yes, but at least for Ford, GM, and Toyota drivers there is plenty information available.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
jamcgowen
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by jamcgowen »

so here is a question... i have a schwaben scan tool and it is capable of pulling the oil temp in the live data view. so clearly there is a way to access that info, does anyone know if you can view the parameters used by schwaben scan tool to pull the oil temp data? I've been trying this based on the pdf.

Channel: Oil
ECU: EOT
Mode: Mode 1
PID: $01$5C
Request Frequency: Low
Formula:

Ive tried changing the ECU, but that doesn't seem to make a difference.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

This is the OBD II standard PID for engine oil temperature. If available, LapTimer pulls it automatically. No need for a custom PID in this case. See https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs for the list I Standard parameters.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
tdott
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by tdott »

Harry wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:54 am This is the OBD II standard PID for engine oil temperature. If available, LapTimer pulls it automatically. No need for a custom PID in this case. See https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs for the list I Standard parameters.

Harry
The issue is we have cars that don't use the standard PID for oil temp, we have been trying to get the custom pid feature to work, but have had no luck since more than PID is needed and I haven't been able to get it to work on my BMW.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, to use a custom PID, you need to know the details. What I wanted to say is that

PID: $01$5C

is simply the standard EOT PID. It makes little sense to add its definition as custom PID (although possible) because you'd see it by default (standard PID) already. So this standard / custom PIDs seems to be not supported by the car tested.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
jwb5000
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by jwb5000 »

I'm trying to retrieve brake pressure. I have a Ford (2016) and am using FORSCAN, an OBD adapter, and a port monitoring program to determine the PID for brake pressure. I can certainly see brake pressure in FORSCAN. My question is, if I get the hex PID, mode (22 in this case), and digit width correct, will the data be listed in the CSV file? I will back engineer the correct formula from the data. Thanks.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, LapTimer has full support for brake pressure (including CSV exports). Provided you find the PID, you should be able to record it. The Custom PID list for Fords I have doesn't show brake pressure. So if you find it, please share.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image