OBD Tonwon 4.0

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
AdrianoJP
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

OBD Tonwon 4.0

Post by AdrianoJP »

Hello Harry,
I have purchased the Tonwon OBD dongle, and successfully paired it with LapTimer. The refresh rate appears to be 1-2Hz only (tested with key-on, engine-off): do I have to enable BT1 or other settings in order to enable full data transmission speed?

Secondly, Laptimer tells me that I need to insert correct rpm and transmission ratios in order to display correct speed/gears?!? Is this true?
I am driving a Mk7 Golf R.

Thankyou in advance!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: OBD Tonwon 4.0

Post by Harry »

Assuming your Golf has a CAN bus, the update rate is too low. For non CAN cars, this is the expected rate. Test with running engine please. There is no further configuration required. As the upcoming LapTimer v22 will come with a completely revised OBD integration, I do not want to go into full trouble shooting currently. Please search the forum for options to make OBD update rates more reliable. In case you can't wait, please join the early access / beta program.

And yes, LapTimer speaks the truth on gear calculation. Please search the FAQs on how to configure your gear ratios.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Mateusz
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: OBD Tonwon 4.0

Post by Mateusz »

I assume Tonwon OBD has the same internals as iCar3 BTLE, which I have. Low update rates are typical for engine-off situation. I get 6-8Hz with the right configuration, which, I understand, is as good as it gets with BTLE.