J1939 CAN data logger compatible with Laptimer?

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
Chad-1stgen
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: J1939 CAN data logger compatible with Laptimer?

Post by Chad-1stgen »

Hi Harry,

The only other potential option I've seen is the OBDLink MX Wi-Fi which I asked about over at scantool.net on 1) if it supported J1939 and 2) if it would work with Harry's Laptimer. Link to the thread: https://www.scantool.net/forum/index.php?topic=9696.0 They responded with the following:
Hi,

Your first question is an easy one. It does support J1939. I don't know how relevant this is to you but it supports it because J1939 uses the same hardware as CAN. All we had to do was make the firmware support it, which it does. Your second question is not so simple to answer. Because J1939 broadcasts rather than waiting to be asked for information, it would have to be supported by Harry's Lap Timer. It does use the same ELM327 commands to set it to J1939 so if the app uses that, it should work.

Regards,
Chris
Do you think ti will work? Or what question should I ask them to get a better idea of the compatibility?

Thanks again for your help!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi,

Thanks for pursuing this. Oddly, I do not have a good message for you. I dug into the J1939 ELM327 spec and including the above response understand the main difference between the protocols now. As written by Chris, they support the J1939 protocol and map it to the ELM327 dialect. However, this portion of ELM works completely different compared to the other protocols and would require special support by LapTimer: for J1939, the ELM protocol is not abstracted to the bus protocol independent layer, but requires bus protocol specific support. This by the way is the reason the BT1A 1939 doesn't work either, it goes to bus protocol level too.

As my OBD simulator does not support J1939 and I have no car available, I would not be able to add this support either.

So sorry for now,

Harry
Image Image Image Image
Chad-1stgen
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Chad-1stgen »

Harry wrote:Hi,

Thanks for pursuing this. Oddly, I do not have a good message for you. I dug into the J1939 ELM327 spec and including the above response understand the main difference between the protocols now. As written by Chris, they support the J1939 protocol and map it to the ELM327 dialect. However, this portion of ELM works completely different compared to the other protocols and would require special support by LapTimer: for J1939, the ELM protocol is not abstracted to the bus protocol independent layer, but requires bus protocol specific support. This by the way is the reason the BT1A 1939 doesn't work either, it goes to bus protocol level too.

As my OBD simulator does not support J1939 and I have no car available, I would not be able to add this support either.

So sorry for now,

Harry
Harry, thanks for taking time to help me get this question answered definitively even if the answer is a no.

I don't know anything about programming but if there was any way for me to purchase an OBDLink MX Wi-fi and help provide you any kind of logging or info to add support just let me know. Granted there are only two of us known to want this feature lol...
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

It is nearly impossible to program a parser for J1939 when having no car or simulator available - at least with acceptable effort for programmer and remote tester... I see no option currently, sorry.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image