J1939 CAN data logger compatible with Laptimer?

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
Chad-1stgen
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

J1939 CAN data logger compatible with Laptimer?

Post by Chad-1stgen »

Hi,

Does anyone know if there is a datalogger device compatible with the J1939 CAN signal (used for heavy automotive and industrial normally) that is compatible with the Iphone Laptimer ap?

I know from searching on here Harry has mentioned as long as the data device is ELM327 it can work with the Laptimer. I just don't know if there is an ELM327 compatible device that can read J1939 CAN signal instead of an OBDII signal?

Thanks
hms
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: J1939 CAN data logger compatible with Laptimer?

Post by hms »

It would appear that the elmscan does not support J1939 unless it's a subset of a supported protocol
http://www.scantool.net/elmscan-5.html
H
Black S Special goes by the name of Lexie.
JRSC M45, 189.6 bhp JR ARB's, TDR belt tensioner, Steve Heath Rose jointed drop links, Absolutely Shocks GAZ springs and dampers, Alignment by WIM

Chad-1stgen
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Chad-1stgen »

Thanks HMS.

Just got back from lunch and have only been googling a few minutes but I did come across this:

http://elmelectronics.com/DSheets/ELM327QS.pdf
In addition to being able to automatically detect and interpret nine OBD protocols, the ELM327 also provides support for high speed communications, a low power sleep mode, and the J1939 truck and bus standard. It is also completely customizable, should you wish to alter it to more closely suit your needs.
Now whether someone makes and ELM327 device that is compatible with both the Iphone and J1939 I've yet to figure out.

Off to do some more research.
hms
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by hms »

The issue as I see it is that elm327 is a chipset which the manufacturers buy and build into the finished product. Does the manufacturer then build that support into his finished hardware! Iirc the cheap chinese clones do not use the elm chipset, but an eeprom copy of an old elm chipset
H
JRSC M45, 189.6 bhp JR ARB's, TDR belt tensioner, Steve Heath Rose jointed drop links, Absolutely Shocks GAZ springs and dampers, Alignment by WIM

Chad-1stgen
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Chad-1stgen »

That is the issue indeed. I emailed quite a few OBDII device makers and did receive a promising response from the OBDkey folks. They said that their device would support J1939 if I hook it up. The guy who responded even offered to check if it would work with Laptimer when receiving J1939 info so I'm anxiously awaiting the answer.
hms
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by hms »

That's good service.
What I'd like to know is what piece of heavy automotive equipment are you intending to track! ;)
h

kabacj
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by kabacj »

My track car, A Factory Five GTM is powerd by a 630hp LS3 built by Mast Motorsports. Mast use a J1939 protocol based ECU because of the many advantages of that protocol.

I also want to use harrys with its CAN iterface.

The GoPoint BT1 does not connect.
I am going to try the ODBLink Wifi next.

Hopefully there is a solution.

John
kabacj
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by kabacj »

Any update on this thread? My ECU also supports J1939. I tried the BT1 and it does not recogognize the protocol. I have an OBDLink WiFi in the mail. Maybe that will work. If anyone has found a successful wifi/bluetooth solution I would love to know about it.

John
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi John,

I needed to approve your post first (changed policies for new users as the forum received too many spam posts otherwise). I personally do not have news on the topic, but maybe someone else can help now that the post is visible.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
kabacj
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by kabacj »

No luck with the ODBLink Wifi . It was an outside chance that was worth a shot. Looks like that setup is on its way back to the vendor. Hopefully the ODB key will work.

John