J1939 CAN data logger compatible with Laptimer?

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
rvogti
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: J1939 CAN data logger compatible with Laptimer?

Post by rvogti »

Check out a pure J1939/J1708 truck datalogger:
http://iosix.com/
leecavturbo
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by leecavturbo »

Any joy for Can bus to laptimer in general?
I have syvecs ecu
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

CAN bus cars are always modern cars. For the US or Europe, they will feature OBD II (using the CAN bus).

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Chad-1stgen
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Chad-1stgen »

yeah Kabacj I'm also an owner of a Mast Motorsports Engine which is why I made this post originally. My build got way way sidetracked so I actually wasn't ready for the track again until now.

So I'm back on the quest to use Harry's laptimer with my 600hp Mast Motorsports engine. The OBDKey guys never tested it with J1939 or Harry's app and upon follow up just said it probably won't work...

The wiring harness had an OBD2 port so I went ahead and hooked the PLX Kiwi someone bought me but I can confirm it does not work. Had no trouble hooking the device up to the Iphone and getting Harry's Laptimer app to see the Kiwi but it didn't recognize any of the parameters.

Harry, any chance you learned anything new on this in the past year?

EDIT: didn't see there was a 2nd page to this thread. I checked out the IOSIX data logger and they clearly support J1939 and say you can connect to a computer or phone via wifi but I doubt it is supported by Harry, is it? Doesn't look like they even support individual purchases either. Man I hate this Mast Motorsports motor!
Chad-1stgen
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Chad-1stgen »

Hi Harry,

Hopefully you find this thread again. I had one other question. Is it enough to find an ELM 327 device that is J1939 compatible? In other words is the ELM 327 the language that the Lap timer app uses to talk to these devices so regardless of the car's protocol (e.g. J1939) HLT will be able to receive and recognize things such as RPM, TPS, Oil Pressure, etc?

Thanks
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes. ELM based dongles offer a protocol that is completely independent of the underlying bus protocol.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I just found a J1939 version of GoPoint's BT1A dongles: http://gopoint-technology.mybigcommerce.com/j1939-bt1a/
I will check with them if LapTimer can access it just like the other BT1 dongles.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Chad-1stgen
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Chad-1stgen »

Harry wrote:I just found a J1939 version of GoPoint's BT1A dongles: http://gopoint-technology.mybigcommerce.com/j1939-bt1a/
I will check with them if LapTimer can access it just like the other BT1 dongles.

- Harry
Thanks Harry, you rock! I found that last night when practicing my google fu and emailed them about the J1939 BT1A as well. My two best hopes are either

1) The J1939 BT1A becomes available for purchase and it works with HLT (has a price but no option to buy like the regular BT1A)
2) OBDLink can work. I know earlier in this thread kabacj said he tried an OBDLink and it didn't work. However, this announcement here: http://www.mp3car.com/engine-management ... pport.html said it does support J1939. I emailed the OBDLink guys to ask them to clarify which version supports it and if it would work with HLT.

We will see. Fingers crossed.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Harry wrote:I just found a J1939 version of GoPoint's BT1A dongles: http://gopoint-technology.mybigcommerce.com/j1939-bt1a/
Oddly it will not work currently as it starts up using the bus specific protocol (extended). LapTimer operates in the bus independent layer.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Chad-1stgen
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Chad-1stgen »

Harry wrote:
Oddly it will not work currently as it starts up using the bus specific protocol (extended). LapTimer operates in the bus independent layer.

- Harry
Thanks Harry. They also replied to me indicating it won't work with your app.
The J1939 BT1 is really for developers to use for app development. It is not compatible with Harry's Laptimer. And yes, it is available to purchase and will ship the week of 28-July.

Best regards,

Brennan Hamilton
GoPoint Technology Support Team