PLX Kiwi 4

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: PLX Kiwi 4

Post by Harry »

Please have a look into the Train the Trainer document available on www.gps-laptimer.de/documentation. In case you have a GrandPrix edition, you can use the bottom diagram to set two cursors. This will allow you to analyze a certain section.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
krell
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by krell »

I looked at that but didn't find it intuitive or helpful so I guess I'll keep working on it.
Squared
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Squared »

Hi Harry,
I’m looking to buy a kiwi 3 or 4 to use with your lap timer in my 2000 Audi TT MK.1.
I like the kiwi because I will have both wi-fi and BT options, giving me better scope to connect other peripherals to my phone (such as a camera or external BT).
It’s no clear whether or not the kiwi is compatible with this older vehicle. The TT runs CAN bus and has an OBD II port.

Could you please let me know if the Kiwi will work in this old car. If not, what OBD II device would you recommend?
Thanks Dave
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I can't answer questions on adapter / car compatibility except for my own car. :-) Please contact PLX in case you want to be sure front up. To my understanding, your TT came with a first CAN implementation which has been improved later. This may cause trouble, but it may work too.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Squared
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Squared »

Thanks
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The bus type reported is wrong, I assume it is ISO 15765-4 CAN (11/500) for you car. Try to select this protocol in LapTimer ‣ Administration ‣ Settings ‣ Expert Settings ‣ OBD Tweaks ‣ Default Protocol. In case a wrong protocol is selected here, try Automatic first. In case both fail, please follow instructions here: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1500

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Squared
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

OBDLink MX+13901

Post by Squared »

HI Harry,
I have connected the OBDLink MX+ adapter Successfully via Bluetooth in my Audi TT 8N 2000.
The connection is usually ok for a start (showing rpm, pedals, speed etc.) although generally only at 1Hz or 2Hz momentarily. After a short while, just a few minutes, the data seems to stop updating.
The LapTimer connection is using the ISO 9141-2 (5 Baud init, 10.4 Kbaud) protocol Which is the same as the protocol used by the OBDLink app. This seems to be a can bus connection (due to the age of the car?).
I will send the log file from GOPS Buddy to you shortly.
Hope you can help to at least keep the connection active and hopefully improve the data rate.
Regards
Dave
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hello,

ISO 9141-2 is pre-CAN and slow. The update rates shown in OBDLink's tool and LapTimer (5 to 6 PIDs/2 = 1 Hz) are about what is possible to achieve. The MX+ can do a lot more when connected to a CAN bus car.

On the disconnects: the log shows a non standard value for Request Loop Pause. The default is 0.01 where you have a much bigger value. Please recheck this. Furthermore, please make sure OBDLink's tool is not running in background when LapTimer is used. This will disturb communication and result in interruptions / reconnects.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Squared
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Squared »

HI Harry,
The “Request loop pause” was set at 0.01 when I checked it.
Today I re-enabled parallel requests and it was achieving 3-5 hz. I have also set Adaptive timing to “Aggressive”.
The Audi Manual says it is a CAN bus car.
Is there a CAN bus protocol that you think could work?
Is there any way to copy settings from HLT to GPS Buddy?
Cheers
Dave
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The most common CAN setting is 11bit/500kbps. You can set a protocol using LapTimer‘s Expert Setting “Default Protocol“ in case the adapter has problems detecting it on its own (Automatic).

There is no settings import available, but you can send yourself a Contact Mail from our app’s startup screen. This mail includes an attachment with all settings changed compared to defaults.

Harry
Image Image Image Image