PLX Kiwi 4

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
ARCTICboy
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: PLX Kiwi 4

Post by ARCTICboy »

Ah, So I guess for the money the Kiwi 3 seems better?

Is the BT LE limit a hardware issue?

Marcus
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I have just this observation, not sure it is an issue with real cars or just the simulator. The Kiwi4 has some features on top of the Kiwi3. They are not relevant for LapTimer use, but may be valuable for other use cases. So at the same price I‘d take the 4.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
ARCTICboy
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by ARCTICboy »

Hi Harry. I got the Kiwi 4 but have some update rate issues and connection problems. Should I start a new topic? or post the issues here?

- MM
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Please start with looking into late posts on connection / rate issues. From what I see, most issues are general ELM327 optimization issues, not adapter specific. Feel free to post your configuration and issues here in case you can’t resolve the problem.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
ARCTICboy
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by ARCTICboy »

Hi Harry. I will have a read per your suggestion and report back

Also, I had a friend try his OBD and apps with my car and his. Here is some of his feedback.

~~~

I used a ELM-based reader that only works with Android as it's not using the newer BT protocol that is compatible with iOS.

https://www.amazon.ca/Veepeak-Bluetooth ... 011NSX27A/

With this at least with this and Android it's able to see the various PIDs on the 2000 Mustang and 2010 Audi S4 with no issues. With the Mustang, with Torque, it can also see the voltage that the OBD2 is reporting while the Kiwi4 does not as Torque can show the voltage that the OBD2 adapter itself is reporting as the Mustang does not have a PID for voltage it appears.

When trying to use the Kiwi4 with the Android (OnePlus 6T), the phone has difficulties in pairing with the Kiwi4, when it does pair successfully with Torque or RaceChrono, it is not able to get any usable data from the Kiwi4 as both apps is displaying that the adapter is having issues connecting to the ECU.

With the Kiwi4 and iOS, with Harry's laptimer, it does see the Kiwi4 but it is not able to see any data due to an update rate issue. With the Kiwi OBD app, it does see the data and displays it.
ARCTICboy
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by ARCTICboy »

Seems to be a problem with the Kiwi 4:

http://bluetoothobd2.com/kiwi-4-obd-ada ... ion-issues
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

So not only you, but your friend too may have a look into this recent post: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5368#p26196

Voltage by the way is not OBD PID. The adapter is connected to the car's power circle and has this data available using the ATV command. LapTimer uses it.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
krell
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by krell »

If using a Kiwi 3 or 4 will it generate data plots for brake and throttle or do those only appear as overlays on video?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Data plots for throttle - yes, for brake not. Please try the G-G diagram, it is usually best to analyze brake and acceleration positions.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
krell
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by krell »

I pulled up data from my last event and am looking at this diagram now. I'm familiar with the friction circle but I think the data curve at the bottom is probably more relevant. Is there a tutorial on the site going into detail so I'm not missing anything?