Racecapture/Track versus Dual XGPS160 and Gopoint BT1A

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
Saruman
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Racecapture/Track versus Dual XGPS160 and Gopoint BT1A

Post by Saruman »

Hi. I started last year with HLT Rookie and upgraded to Petrolhead and then to Grand Prix. Great software!

I'm now ready upgrade the hardware side. I am using an iPhone 7 Plus in my Porsche 997.2S and want to get an OBD/CANBUS and a GPS solution that is accurate, responsive, and reliable. Having read many threads, it seems that I have two main options:

1. Racecapture/Track. This has the advantage of being an all-in-one solution that will provide 50 Hz GPS, 6-axis accelerometer/gyro, and OBD interface with the ability to directly map streaming CAN data. My understanding is that it draws power from the OBD port so I don't need to think about batteries.

2. Gopoint BT1A and Dual XGPS160. These interface over Bluetooth instead of WiFi, leaving WiFi available for a GoPro, if I ever decide I want to add an external camera. However, I have two devices to think about instead of one every time I start a session and I also have to worry about the battery in the XGPS160. Finally, there is no accelerometer and no ability to map steaming CAN data.

I would be grateful for recommendations or insights as to why I should prefer one solution over the other. Many thanks!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Racecapture/Track versus Dual XGPS160 and Gopoint BT1A

Post by Harry »

I think you nailed it already. The only addition I need to make is that although #1 is probably the better solution, the Laptimer integration is not yet reliable. I think I know what to do, but it will take some days to have it fixed.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

Harry wrote:I think you nailed it already. The only addition I need to make is that although #1 is probably the better solution, the Laptimer integration is not yet reliable. I think I know what to do, but it will take some days to have it fixed.

- Harry
50Hz GPS is only a theoretical possibility with the RaceCapture/Track. I'm not convinced that 25Hz is practical. HLT doesn't use the IMU data from the RC/Track (and doesn't use the gyro data from smartphones anyway) and RC doesn't use the magnetometer that's supposed to be present. Streaming CAN data is a work in progress as well since they don't have a database for CAN ID's for multiple cars yet. If you need to have something that works right now, the GoPoint/XGPS160 combination is what you want.
russ930
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by russ930 »

Not sure if I am posting in the correct place but I was wondering if my GoPoint BV1 and my Dual XGPS150 will work at the same time using a iPhone 6? I am using the "Grand Prix edition"
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

russ930 wrote:Not sure if I am posting in the correct place but I was wondering if my GoPoint BV1 and my Dual XGPS150 will work at the same time using a iPhone 6? I am using the "Grand Prix edition"
Wrong place ;-) but you can use both at the same time.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
Saruman
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Saruman »

Harry wrote:I think you nailed it already. The only addition I need to make is that although #1 is probably the better solution, the Laptimer integration is not yet reliable. I think I know what to do, but it will take some days to have it fixed.

- Harry
Thank you, Harry. While I would like to upgrade my hardware now, it certainly is not mandatory. If you believe that you will have HLT working reliably with Racecapture/Track in the next few days or even weeks, I can wait for reassurance before rushing into a purchase.

Will you post in this thread when you think the RaceCapture - HLT combination is ready for prime time?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Please watch the update notes you get when loading a new version. The item missing currently is a reliable calculation of driving direction. Problem is solved but needs to be added to the production version.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Saruman
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Saruman »

Hi Harry. After thinking about it some more, I deciddd to avoid using WiFi so that I had the option to use a GoPro in the future. To minimize the number of wireless devices and batteries I need to manage, I got a Bad Elf Lightning Connector plug-In GPS unit and a PLX Kiwi 3 Bluetooth OBD unit.

The Bad Elf seems to be working well but I am getting an extremely slow update rate (0 to 1 fps) with the PLX in my 2009 911 Carrera S. It has the latest firmware (v.1.5.0.3) so I am at a loss. A borrowed Carly WiFi adapter works fine when th 4 fps update rates. I have screenshots from within HLT but I don't know how to post them here.

Your advice will be gratefully received. Thank you!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Saruman wrote:Hi Harry. After thinking about it some more, I deciddd to avoid using WiFi so that I had the option to use a GoPro in the future. To minimize the number of wireless devices and batteries I need to manage, I got a Bad Elf Lightning Connector plug-In GPS unit and a PLX Kiwi 3 Bluetooth OBD unit.

The Bad Elf seems to be working well but I am getting an extremely slow update rate (0 to 1 fps) with the PLX in my 2009 911 Carrera S. It has the latest firmware (v.1.5.0.3) so I am at a loss. A borrowed Carly WiFi adapter works fine when th 4 fps update rates. I have screenshots from within HLT but I don't know how to post them here.

Your advice will be gratefully received. Thank you!
A 2009 997(2) should deliver 3 or 4 Hz using the Kiwi3 using standard configuration. So something is wrong. Possible problems are other apps accessing the Kiwi from background or other Bluetooth sources inside your car (like hands free). Please check these items first. Next, check viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1500 for further analysis and send a log file if necessary. Once we get the 3 or 4 Hz, you can turn on ELM327 CAN Multi Request - which will bring you to 7 or 8 Hz. But please start without Multi Requests, it is by far easier to debug with having that feature turned off.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Saruman
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Saruman »

Harry, you were absolutely correct! It never occurred to me that other Bluetooth connections would completely kill the Kiwi 3 update rate, but when I disconnected the phone from the PCM, the update rate went up to where you would expect - 4Hz-5Hz. Thank you!

To save others from my mistake, this is definitely worth mentioning in your FAQ or right on the accessories page on your web site.

So now I am ready to turn on CAN multi-requests. I can see in the app that, under Administration - Settings - Expert Settings - OBD Tweaks, there is an option to set CAN Multi Requests (ELM327) to one of:

- Off
- 2 PIDs / adaptive
- 3 PIDs / adaptive
- 2 PIDs / minimum
- 3 PIDs / minimum

Which setting should I choose?

<=- Hubert