Slow inconsistent update rates with Automatic + BMW 128i

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
Winterfr0st
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Slow inconsistent update rates with Automatic + BMW 128i

Post by Winterfr0st »

Hi,

I've been using HLT for autocross and track days and I tried buying the automatic OBD dongle in hopes to get my throttle and RPM data. However, over the past couple months, I can't seem to get reliable stream of data. The data always seems very choppy. If I look at the engine details in laptimer app, I usually see an update rate of 0.5hz - 3hz so it is getting data but the rate is inconsistent which I believe is what's causing choppy data. An example of what I'm talking about can be seen here: https://youtu.be/ZcjoG8-PZPU?t=28s The throttle data and the RPM jumps about.

Reading the forums, it seems like other people are having issues with Automatic + Laptimer app. Is this just a limitation of the hardware and is this the best I should expect with my setup? If so, is there another OBD dongle that has so far been proven more reliable?

My setup is: iPhone 6 + XGPS 160A + Automatic + GoPro 4 (connected through Wifi)

Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Slow inconsistent update rates with Automatic + BMW 128i

Post by Harry »

The Automatic adapter does tons of data collection to provide its own functionality and provides data to 3rd party apps as a "side effect" only. Or in other words, it is not optimized for performance apps requiring a small set of data at high speeds. In case you have an Automatic adapter anyway, it can be used, but if you look for best LapTimer performance, you need to go for one of the 5 star adapters listed on www.gps-laptimer.de/compatbility/ios. Strangely varying rate are often an indicator there are some disturbing BT devices around. Just open your iPhone's BT Settings to find devices around and turn them off. NB: only iOS compatible devices are listed here, so there may be more...

- Harry
Image Image Image Image