Automatic and 1996 BMW M3

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
metro2084
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Automatic and 1996 BMW M3

Post by metro2084 »

Hi, I'm constantly getting a notice that OBD sensor does not receive data at an expected rate. On the overlaid video RPMs and other data are jumping from 0 to whatever in a moment, but sometimes for several seconds everything works fine. I think (MAYBE) before last update it worked better. at least I dont remember that message popping up. Please help to solve this, not sure if the problem is with Automatic or HLT or maybe my car? I wrote the description of this problem to Automatic and they gave me this link https://community.automatic.com/automat ... -automatic where it says there could be a problem with car's bandtwith.

Thank you.
Attachments
IMG_7700.jpg
IMG_7700.jpg (41.81 KiB) Viewed 2623 times
IMG_7699.jpg
IMG_7699.jpg (18.59 KiB) Viewed 2623 times
Slakker
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: Automatic and 1996 BMW M3

Post by Slakker »

It looks like Automatic answered your question in their reply. Your car is unable to stream the data fast enough to support the Automatic application and to support HLT. They have recommended using a dedicated ODB dongle to solve the issue.

Do you have the Automatic 2nd Generation Adapter? Can you use it without the application?

I use the BT1 ODB connector for my '99 911 and it works very well.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, Automatic's answer is comprehensive and very fair. I haven't been aware the combination of non CAN bus + load from Automatic's app + load from performance apps is actually beyond capabilities so far. I have updated the Compatibility page accordingly. The second snapshot (Sensor Information) means LapTimer has connected to the adapter and sent the initialization sequence (all the AT commands), but hasn't received a reply on any PID (i.e. a reply coming from the bus). As Automatic mostly ignores LapTimer's initialization and implements its own strategy to communicate with the car's bus and 3rd party apps, there is not a lot one can do to fix the issue.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
carramrod
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by carramrod »

I've asked Automatic for a "performance" mode for HLT-like apps and they said they would consider that. Maybe a few more hints on their forums might help :)
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, we had this discussed and they have it on their list. Not sure however if they will ever add it - their main audience is in a different segment. Keep my fingers cross, and yes, asking for that feature shows the demand.

Harry
Image Image Image Image