Nexus 5x slow.obd rate

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
Georgecdisc
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Nexus 5x slow.obd rate

Post by Georgecdisc »

I'm using the grand Prix version of hlt. N my old moto x 2013 I can get about a 15hz update rate (using obdlink MX Bluetooth). If I switch phones to my nexus 5x it is only about 5hz. This is the case in a 2016 GMC terrain and 2013 camaro.

Also, I'm not able to save a datalog with the app, the email doesn't show any attachments.

Moto x is on kit kat 4.4 and nexus 5x is on marshmallow July security update.

I'd like to use my nexus 5x since it is newer and better, but the update rate is terrible. Any suggestions?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Nexus 5x slow.obd rate

Post by Harry »

Make sure configurations are the same. Go through Export Settings / OBD Tweaks step by step. Make sure you have no other OBD apps running in background - kill them. I assume you have measured the rate using the same car?

For export, please turn on Storage permissions in Android's Settings for LapTimer. Check the Apps section. Individual permissions are an Android 6 feature and this one in particular is not handled correctly by LapTimer yet.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Georgecdisc
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Georgecdisc »

Yes, I tested with the same vehicle by just swapping phones. I then tried another vehicle to see if the behavior was similar, which it is.

Both HLT settings should be identical. I tested the "Reset Settings" checkbox, but after restarting the app all the modified settings remained the same. Only way I could get them completely back to stock was via a "Clear Data" and "Clear cache" via the Android settings menu.

When testing I also tried changing the "CAN Multi Requests" to "3 PIDs / Adaptive." This had a small improvement on both devices by about the same %. The Nexus 5x was still only 1/3 the update rate of my old Moto X

Storage permissions were disabled - after correcting that I can correctly save/email a log file now.

I will try taking a log with the Nexus 5X again
Georgecdisc
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Georgecdisc »

Attached is a log after clearing the apps data, allowing all permissions, adding the BT obd to sensor list, enable logging for obd, and viewing the engine data.

I was able to once get the obd rate up to 10hz-15hz after some closing/opening of hlt a few times. Generally it was stuck at 2-3hz.

Data recorded when connected to 2010 camaro. Moto x was showing over 10hz.
Attachments
LapTimer.log.gz
(243.17 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Reply times vary a lot on individual PID level. This is an indicator for some BT / WiFi disturbances. I see you have not enabled Multi PID Requests in Expert Settings. As the Camaro should have a CAN bus, plus turn this feature on and set it to "3 / adaptive". And please keep in mind that update rates will be generally lower when standing still compared to driving. Once LapTimer detects you are moving, it stops to poll for further sensors - making available more bandwidth to connected sensors.

I cannot do a lot more here. In case the problem remains, it is obviously some issue with the Bluetooth stack implementation of the Nexus...

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Georgecdisc
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Georgecdisc »

I did try to run 3/adaptive, just not during that specific log. It made a small improvement to about 5Hz. This was all while the vehicle was in motion.

To be fair Torque and the OBDLink apps are also reporting about the same PID rates. It definitely sounds like something funky with the bluetooth and was my initial guess. Unfortunately this slow update rate existed with the stock kernel on the phone, as well as a new one I am trying now.

Harry, have you worked with the Nexus 5X or 6P for testing purposes?
To other forum readers, have any of you used either of these phones?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I have a Nexus 6 test device. It does not show a significant slow performance. Not as fast as my iOS devices but en par with a Samsung III and a Nexus 4.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
aaronc7
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by aaronc7 »

I had a LG G4 before I moved to my Samsung S7... the G4 had very slow BT performance on the same vehicle when I moved to version 6.0.x. I had the G2 before the G4 and it was great. I've read reports that the LG G5 is the same way...very slow BT performance.. 5X is made by LG right? Might be an issue with newer LG phones, but I'm surprised to see performance issues running nexus images. Just a thought.
Georgecdisc
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Georgecdisc »

The 5X is an LG, and appears to be closely related to the LG G4. I wonder if Android 6 brought about some different bluetooth features that these phones are using... and causing conflict. By "features" I mean battery saving optimizations that cause havoc on reliable data transmissions.
ereynold60
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by ereynold60 »

I am also experiencing a much lower OBD rate on my LG G3 phone. I can't recall exactly, but it happened after Laptimer v20 (GP) and Android 6. I use 3 PIDs/Adaptive on a CAN Bus (Porsche Cayman). Previously I would get between 11-13 Hz while idling on the grid. Now I'm only getting 4-5 Hz. Additionally, while driving I can see the data is getting 'choppy' when viewing a overlay lap. By this I mean the RPM indicator moves in small steps rather then a smooth rise that I had previously.

Are their any Bluetooth driver/stack updates for Android 6 ??? (The only thing that changed for me was Android 6 and LT v20...