Flaky throttle data from GoPoint BT1

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
cmac123
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Flaky throttle data from GoPoint BT1

Post by cmac123 »

I'm noticing some flaky throttle data on the video overlay. The first couple times I used it I didn't notice anything unusual--wide open throttle would be all green. Now it's very rare to see that and most of the time full throttle only goes to the letter "L" in THROTTLE on the display. I've looked at the CSV export data and believe it's the BT1 adapter but am not sure if there's any other factor involved. Seems to be stuck at .74 most of the time though there are some occasional 1s.

Has anyone experienced this? Any suggestions? (I'm using the full version of HLT with a SkyPro BT GPS and the GoPoint BT1. I've considered switching to a WiFi OBD dongle but I also use a GoPro so that would seem to add more complexity issues.)

Thanks!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Flaky throttle data from GoPoint BT1

Post by Harry »

Range issues for throttle are a car issue and will not change for a different adapter. The problem occurs if a car's sensor delivers a too small range of values (max range is 0..255). LapTimer will scale up things, but the app has a minimum threshold in changes it requires. Workaround: please try one of the pedal PIDs instead of the throttle value: LapTimer ‣ Administration ‣ Settings ‣ Expert Settings ‣ OBD Tweaks ‣ Throttle PID. Position D is the most common pedal PID, but you need to try.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

One of the free apps from BT1 can show you the response from the different PID's in graphical form. I'd look for the one with the widest range.
cmac123
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by cmac123 »

This is good feedback, thanks guys! I'll try debugging the PID with the GoPoint app later and let you know how it works out. For what it's worth, this is on a 2015 Boxster.
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by bulls23 »

As Harald suggested, you should try the different available throttle PIDs from your car, you can see them going into the sensors list, choosing th OBD2 sensor and checking "info". Some of the throttle PIDs are in fact throttle body position and not pedal position and with modern drive by wire cars, the throttle body isn't doing what you think it is...sometimes the throttle body is wide open and your foot barely on the pedal because that way it's more efficient and injection does the rest...other times you're fully on the pedal and still the throttle body won't be opened the full way.
Also remember HLT needs you to fully press the pedal to the max at some point to calibrate, but doesn't seem to be your issue since it's not showing full throttle.
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

This is also why I wish that HLT remembered the throttle or pedal calibration for a given VIN rather than doing a new one every time.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

gplracerx wrote:This is also why I wish that HLT remembered the throttle or pedal calibration for a given VIN rather than doing a new one every time.
I know :-D
Image Image Image Image
cmac123
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by cmac123 »

Preliminary, Throttle position D seems to be the one. Hard to drive full-throttle on the street, so I can't say for sure based on my limited testing but I should be back on track in a few weeks and will confirm for sure in case some future Boxster owner needs the same info...

Thanks again for all the responses. I'm very glad I didn't buy another OBD adapter now. :-)