OBDLink MX Wi-Fi testing method

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
_sadpanda
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

OBDLink MX Wi-Fi testing method

Post by _sadpanda »

I tried posting in the benchmark thread but its locked.

When connecting the MX WiFi to an android device, their instructions state you can connect with the phone OR the MX as the wifi AP.

Which method was used for the benchmarks? Has anyone tried both?

Thanks!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: OBDLink MX Wi-Fi testing method

Post by Harry »

Benchmarks have been performed in SoftAP mode, i.e. the MX as the AP. I stopped working with the mode connecting to existing APs (like GoPro) because it didn't work reliable an it seems the problem cannot be fixed even with the help of the network chip manufacturer (see SCANtool's forum). I doubt it would be faster anyway (but would be good to connect both the MX and an action cam).

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
macduff
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: OBDLink MX Wi-Fi testing method

Post by macduff »

I seriously can't believe the OBDLink MX Wi-Fi guy's haven't gotten the infrastructure mode bugs fixed yet, it's literally been years. I also have connectivity issues that develop after a few sessions (luckily pulling and replugging the module fixes these). I even exchanged my unit and still have the connectivity issue (random drop outs of OBD data collection). The last I heard (in September) was that they are working on a hardware update that should fix the connectivity issue and that I should hold-off on exchanging it again. I just emailed them to ask for an update.

Also, I'm planning to test for the connectivity issue again this weekend at the track, now with the latest iOS, new iPhone SE, and latest version of MX firmware. We'll see (not holding my breath).

Sorry if not the right spot but this seems like the latest thread to mention MX Wi-Fi issues in so thought I would provide my experience.