Where to buy OBDlink MX BT in EU

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
PitrsRS
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Where to buy OBDlink MX BT in EU

Post by PitrsRS »

In the future. Do you think about some simple function to turn on / off some specific PIDs? I mean. User can choose what he want to use and what to not use (for example, for Overlay you dont need voltage). Some click menu, something like in Torque App. At this moment we must search internet for PIDs and manualy add them for exclude them. I think it may a little bit improve comm speed.
2016 SEAT Leon CUPRA 290 ST

HLT Grand Prix (Android) + OBDLink LX BT + XGPS160 + GoPro 11 Black + GoPro 7 Black
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

No plans on that. But the reason is different to what one might expect! ;-)

LapTimer requests PIDs like voltage or fuel level at a *very* low frequency. Removing a PID like this would raise the update rate by something like 0.05 Hz - which is probably not worth it. Another item is apps like Torque are focussed on real time displays. For real time displays it makes sense to limit requests to what is displayed. This can be done automatically. When logging data, you don't know what will be done with that data in the future. Maybe it will be an overlay, maybe something else. So you need to involve the user and add complexity. The approach to differentiate request frequencies based in the volatility seems to be the better option here. And for users not interested in one of the high frequency PIDs (VSS, TPS, MAP, RPM), the exclude option in Expert Settings is still available.

So excluding any PID except the four named, will hardly improve the update rate with the approach LapTimer has implemented. Removing VSS means you will get some issues with gear calculation but can be done otherwise. Removing TPS, MAP or RPM doesn't make sense at all?

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
PitrsRS
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by PitrsRS »

I already wrote post to your FB page. After last update (v20.0.5) i see great improvement in update rate. It´s almost 2 times faster.
In v20.0.3 I have about 3-5Hz max, but in latest ver I have 8-11Hz (no changes in expert settings)

HLT Grand Prix (Android) + OBDLink LX BT + XGPS160 + GoPro 11 Black + GoPro 7 Black
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

That's great but probably some side effect from a changed Bluetooth environment / other devices disturbing communication. This type of interference are really hard to manage as one need complex technical equipment to detect them. Anyway, this is good news!

When your LX delivers 8 to 11 Hz now, it is very likely you have a CAN bus car. Have you tried setting LapTimer ‣ Administration ‣ Settings ‣ Expert Settings ‣ OBD Tweaks ‣ CAN Multi Requests ‣ 3 PIDs / adaptive? In case you haven't, this will clearly boost you rate another time.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
PitrsRS
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by PitrsRS »

I will try it on my way home from job. I´m testing it on my company car Toyota Yaris 1.33 VVT-i (2015, so it has CAN). In morning I tried to combine it with XGPS160, and update rate is still same.

PitrsRS
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by PitrsRS »

So I tried it to change CAN Multi Requests ‣ 3 PIDs / adaptive. Update rate rised to almost stabile 14Hz (sometimes to 15Hz). But what I still dont understand is change of rate, I thought it was still same. For example: If I stay on traffic lights, rate in most cases drops to 2-4Hz, after I run up the car, rate after few moments rise to 12-14Hz.

Why this is happening? it's not very important, but I'm interested

In attachement is screen of improvement ;)
Attachments
Screenshot_2016-04-29-15-38-56.png
Screenshot_2016-04-29-15-38-56.png (57.53 KiB) Viewed 4785 times

Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

This is a real time measurement showing what is actually coming in. Response times for individual PIDs change depending on the general bus load. Like for any network, other traffic influences the throughput of a single service.

Harry
Image Image Image Image