Automatic OBD Gen II unreliable?

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
FergusH
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Automatic OBD Gen II unreliable?

Post by FergusH »

Hi,

I've been using HLT for several months and I've never had a reliable experience in getting OBD data via an Automatic Gen II dongle. I'll get a green status and I'll see that engine data is being recorded but on the next session, not data is being recording and if I look at the Status screen, I see this:

I'm about to buy a new OBD dongle but before I do I thought I'd check here: has anyone had the same experience and found a fix for it? I've had the problem on two different cars (albeit both Cayman 981s), different phones, different versions of HLT. My Automatic dongle is running the latest firmware version.

Thanks,
Fergus
stellman
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: Automatic OBD Gen II unreliable?

Post by stellman »

I've had good luck with mine (2014 Ford, 2004 Mazda) and HLT, but I've noticed that every so often it will drop connection. I'm not sure which part it is, the iPhone, HLT or Automatic. Submit a bug to Automatic, as they are pretty responsive to these kind of things.
donutespresso
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by donutespresso »

I've had similar issues with my Automatic Gen II dongle. It works sometimes, doesn't work other times, and new release of firmware seem to randomly make things work/stop working with HLT. It's really frustrating to have to bug Automatic or Harry with debug logs everytime it stops working. I'm about ready to toss it and pick up another OBD dongle.
EZ99B5
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by EZ99B5 »

Wish I'd have stumbled upon this thread before buying mine. Just used it for the first time this weekend, and although at the start of my first session it was green, I got no data into HLT. :evil: