Kiwi 3

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Kiwi 3

Post by Harry »

Plug in and LapTimer will connect. Due to the short range of BT Low Energy connections, issues with other cars are not expected.

For existing BT1 users I see no reason to change.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
Elurztac
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Elurztac »

Hello Harry !

I have a Kiwi 3 too, and test it yesterday but... It not working like i expected.
I can see the Kiwi 3 going yellow on my HArry's Laptimer App with the "searching..." option... I can see the blue light stay fixed on the Kiwi 3... But few seconds after that, Harry's doesn't connect and the Kiwi 3 Bluetooth Icone restart to blink.

I already enable the Bluetooth LE Sensors in Expert Mode and nothing else seem to work.

I have a Nexus 6 (the 2014 Version), i wanted to test it with my work iPhone but not pay the app a second time (yet :lol: it seem it's more stable in iOS than Android so... Maybe one day)

So yeah, at this point, i don't know where is my issue. Kiwi or Harry's ? It's my first ODB Connector, i buy it in Kickstarter this summer and just don't know correctly how it's work.

If you need anything in file or other, do not hesitate, i can do anything you want. It's just a test car (i test it with a BMW 1 Serie 118d from 2011, not a racecar :D ) but i think i can get some info from your app using this ODB thing.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

For iOS, you can test it using the free Harry's GPS/OBD Buddy app. It runs the same codebase like LapTimer and supports the Kiwi. For a second purchase of LapTimer, there is a partial discount available too (http://www.gps-laptimer.de/products ‣ Mover Support).

Back to the Kiwi3: I found it needs multiple plug out/in cycles for the production version. LapTimer is able to recognize it and can send initialization stuff, but it simply doesn't reply. Sometimes it works fine immediately, and sometimes I needed to plug it 4 or more times. Turning the engine on / off may generate the same issue - not sure. PLX asks to perform this steps plus reboot smartphones in their FAQ - so it seems to be a common issue. I will report this back to PLX, it worked fine for the test device I used initially. Probably something that can be fixed easily by a new firmware version.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Elurztac
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Elurztac »

Thanks, i will try that tonight if i'm bored.

And i'm bored.
So... I keep update you ;)
Elurztac
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Elurztac »

Ok so i made some test tonight. Nothing work with my Nexus 6 in Android (well, it's better than before, the Harry's Laptimer can get the connection and stay connected to the Kiwi, and i can see the speed, but no data is transfer...) but it's work really well with my iPhone 5 from the work (I don't try with GPS/ODB Buddy because he ask me to give you 1$, and I don't want to :p kidding, just don't want to buy a app on a phone who is not mine actually) with ODB Doctor.

So ok, it's work with my iPhone, i just disconnect the bluetooth from it, connect to my Androïd, the Nexus can connect to the Kiwi, and then, nothing, at all. So it's not "plug-in / unplug" thing, because it has been working just before, it's something else.

So it's not a Harry's issue, I'm going to ask Kiwi if they have something about Bluetooth and Android (but you have a Nexus 6 Right ? Does it work for you ?)
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Just to make sure: you need to enable Bluetooth Low Energy support in LapTimer's Expert Settings before using the Kiwi3. I have disabled this connection technology because many Android phones come with very buggy BT LE stacks creating all kinds of issues and crashes (even if not connecting to a BT LE devices). Despite the lowest level BT access layer, LapTimer's Android and iOS implementations are the same and should not show different behavior. So once BT LE is enabled, any issue occurring for Android and not iOS will be some device specific issue or configuration problem. Take care to fully disable BT on the other smartphone when testing two. This will easily disturb operation.

On GPS / OBD Buddy: the Engine View is 99 cents, but you can connect and watch OBD data without this extension too (GPS View).

There are known connection startup issues for the current Kiwi3 firmware version. I'm just testing an updated firmware which is said to address this issue. No results so far. So it makes sense to contact PLX directly.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Elurztac
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Elurztac »

Hello,

Yeah BT LE has been enabled (without this, the Android cannot connect at all) so i contact PLX Directly for the moment.
But iOS should work, not Androïd Nexus 6 in 6.0.1 for my side.

Keep you update when I fix this somehow ;)
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The Nexus 6 definitely works with the Kiwi3, that's my current test device. :-) I assume you need to work around by unplugging / plugging the adapter multiple times. Turning Bluetooth off and on for your smartphone will probably help too because it will restart the Bluetooth service.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Elurztac
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Elurztac »

Hello Harry,

You are lucky. Which version do you have (build)
I'm with the MMB29K (6.0.1) version, and PLX told me they have a lot of issue with 6.0.1 and 6.0.2 version...
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Interesting. I have an Android 6.0 version, none of the fix releases. Running the auto update tells me it is up to date. It is probably due to the phone's country / regional settings, I'm in Europe, Germany...

- Harry
Image Image Image Image